Checking Variable For Null

QuePID

if($var = null)  ?

It's not working for some reason here is the code:

if ($date=NULL) $date="0000-00-00";

if ($col_datet=NULL) $col_datet="0000-00-00";

Here is the error given:

Incorrect date value: '' for column 'Col_Datet' at row 1

What I am doing is retrieving a record from a mysql database in which the date and col_datet columns contain either a date or NULL.  When I go to update the query with either of those two fields in which they contain a null the update query fails.  So what I am wanting to do with PHP is to use a default date of 0000-00-00 instead of a NULL for the update query.

if($var = null)  ?

No matter what the value of $var is, that will return TRUE.

Correction: no matter what the value of $var is, that will return FALSE. *stalks*

Lol. Salathe you're a funny guy. In my original post I was simply trying to correct his if statement.

if($var = null)  ?

No matter what the value of $var is, that will return TRUE.

Correction: no matter what the value of $var is, that will return FALSE. *stalks*

Yes, with a NULL you're correct. Point being, it needs a comparison operator, not an assignment operator, to work as intended.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.