Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stone140

Problem with text format pulling from mysql field

When I am retrieving a "text" field from my mysql database the new lines (that the user entered) are no longer there when I display the field.  It is simly one continual line of text.  Has anyone ever run into this problem before - if so how did you fix it?

If the user posted/entered the text (like a comment or so) using a <textarea> on your page the linebreaks will disappear if you just insert $_POST['text'] into your mysql-database. Instead you should insert nl2br($_POST['text']). This will preserve the linebreaks...

I had exactly the same issue recently -

If you read this post you can see the help I received - which I have now got working

[url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,111288.0.html]Check out huggies answer...[/url]

[quote author=Wuhtzu link=topic=111335.msg451113#msg451113 date=1160684713]
If the user posted/entered the text (like a comment or so) using a <textarea> on your page the linebreaks will disappear if you just insert $_POST['text'] into your mysql-database. Instead you should insert nl2br($_POST['text']). This will preserve the linebreaks...
[/quote]

It is much better practice to use nl2br() when outputting data

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.