how to speed up find/replace in text editor

mameha

I am often doing large find/replace commands in Notepad as I convert Excel files before putting into MySQL.  I am replacing tab characters with the | character and it is taking 5 mins per file in Notepad.

Is there another windows program that can do find/replace faster?

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=111356.msg451239#msg451239 date=1160718594]
Else you could just copy a tab and paste it into the replace field.
[/quote]

The only problem with that is that tabs may be represented differently - I don't believe databases expand \t to 4 spaces or 8 spaces or whatever. I believe they just leave them as \t, and I wouldn't be surprised if the text editor in use would expand the \t to 4 or 8 spaces or whatever it thinks a tab is.

• 2 months later...
Basically I have since found that Wordpad does find/replace much much faster than notepad.

Also, its not necessary to find/replace anyway in this case because you can use \t as the replace character in phpmyadmin.  pasting a tab into there wont work by the way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.