Using unlink to target the file in a folder

Jurik

Hi guys was just wondering if its possible to get unlink to go into a folder to delete the file, I have all my files stored in a folder called videos, I have got the code sorted so it deletes the file if its in the folder the php files in but I need it to go to the videos folder, how do u do this?

I may be missing the point completely here (wouldn't be the first time) but surely you could just supply the full path to the file you wish to delete? Have a look at some snippets below. I know it can be done in one line, but I am using these variables elsewhere in the script.

[code]

// Set the temp directory relative to the executing script
$temp_dir = "../tmp";

// Set the filename suffix to a UNIX timestamp
$filename = time();

// Assign the full path to the file to a variable
$tempfile = $temp_dir."/tmp_".$filename;

// Delete the temporary file
unlink($tempfile);

[/code]

HTH

[quote author=gmwebs link=topic=111377.msg451296#msg451296 date=1160734788]
I may be missing the point completely here (wouldn't be the first time) but surely you could just supply the full path to the file you wish to delete? Have a look at some snippets below. I know it can be done in one line, but I am using these variables elsewhere in the script.

[code]

$temp_dir = "../tmp";

$filename = time();

unlink($tempfile);

[/code]

HTH
[/quote]

The problem with using a parameter such as $filename.

What is someone passed this into $filename = "../../../etc/password" or some such file.
You want to be very careful about the parameters you pass. When you use chdir you can remove all ".." from $filename

Fair point... If you are using user input (form field) or GET (delete.php?filename=blah) to determine the file to delete. Surely this would not be an issue if the script was completely server-side and all variables were assigned without any user input?

[quote author=xsist10 link=topic=111377.msg451303#msg451303 date=1160736048]

[code]

$temp_dir = "../tmp";

$filename = time();

unlink($tempfile);

[/code]

HTH
[/quote]

The problem with using a parameter such as $filename.

What is someone passed this into $filename = "../../../etc/password" or some such file.
You want to be very careful about the parameters you pass. When you use chdir you can remove all ".." from $filename
[/quote]In that particular situation, it's a non-issue. $filename is assigned a new value, so whether it had a value before, or not, doesn't matter. But your point is valid, when using files you need to ensure it is done so securely.

• 2 months later...
Can you help me on a method to prevent video files
to be cached (copied) into the Internet temp file?
This is to protect content.
Thanks, Lisa

lisawebs@yahoo.com

[code]

$temp_dir = "../tmp";

$filename = time();

unlink($tempfile);

[/code]

HTH
[/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.