Smarty - getting and using template variables

AndyB

Long time away, so apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place, question is too vague, etc.  It'll take a while to get in the swing of things ...

I am working on a site using a CMSmadesimple.  I would like to have an image in the sidebar (part of the main template file) which is the same image for each page within the same 'parent' group of menu options, i.e. the image is representative of the group of sub-menu options.  I will have a different image for each other group of menu options.

Looking at the template_vars, it appears that 'position' is the variable I need, but I can't figure out how to abstract it and use it in a bit of script to display the correct image.  Unfortunately, the Smarty documentation is not as idiot-friendly as I need to help myself.

All suggestions appreciated.

I'm too old to read all that documentation stuff, so I gave up on a 'nice' solution and fudged around it using one of the canned user tags is CMSMS.  Good job the code isn't visible to the client :)

Although my original issue is not SOLVED, I'm happy to go with what I have right now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.