Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ninjakreborn

calculating the difference in ems, and px's

I have a certain number of pixels, say I want to decide how many em's that is instead, is there a way for me to calculate that?

what would be the point, they are different sets of measurements for a reason.

I have an image that is done in pixels, the photoshop file is in pixel's, I am trying my hand at a layout using mostly em's, the pictures have to remain closely the same sizes.

If you are trying to make something pixel peferct, than use pixels, that's why they are a form of measurement. Use ems where appropriate.

Agreed.  Use the appropriate measurement.  End of story.

An em is the size of the font, therefore it can change. A pixel does not.

specifically, and hopefully to draw the curtains down, 'em' is the width (in pixels) of the letter 'M' (caps) for the particular font you're using, hence them name 'em'. so as stated by effigy, it changes with the font.

[b]edit:[/b] in response to your post whilst i was typing mine - i've personally never used anything other than pixels and percentages. as for the others? i guess i'll know when to use them when i get to that stage.

Read it all. Learn a lot. -> http://clagnut.com/blog/348/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.