Global Moderator

The individual is nominated and voted into the Staff/Team.  There is no application process if that's what you're asking, if a team/staff member sees your worthy of stepping up then they will nominate you, and if you receive enough votes, you are promoted.

I bribed an admin, have a mac and was never nominated... so, anything can happen. 

An alternative is to be so good at finding spam messages, or posts in the wrong forum, and clicking "Report to moderator" that the current moderators get annoyed with you and let you deal with the posts yourself.  But that involves effort!

I bribed an admin, have a mac and was never nominated... so, anything can happen. 

True story...he sent me 5gb of midget-on-badger interspecies erotica from his personal collection.  Though in retrospect, had I known he uses a mac, I would have demanded 10gb instead.

bahahahaha...salathe i didnt know....

Maybe this is something we should have in a faq item or something.

Generally speaking what we look for is:

-someone with some longevity and history of helpful posting and demonstrated expertise with our core subject matter (javascript, php, mysql, etc)

-willingness to proactively keep the place orderly.

Usually one or more existing staff members notices someone and nominates them.  We have plenty of people who have turned us down, some of which prefer to be gurus.  We have made exceptions in the past for people who had some demonstrated prominance in the past, but a lot of those people seem to bore quickly of phpfreaks (salathe being one of our treasured exceptions :P) .  There are some areas where we are looking to build up expertise, so if for example, someone was a proven javascript superstar and wanted to join our merry band, we'd probably be interested even if the weren't expert level with php/mysql. 

What this hopefully illustrates is the the main thing the staff does is read/answer questions, and the moderation is just a detail that they are trusted to perform moderation functions as well.

IMO this question doesn't come up regularly around here.

But if we were to nonetheless make a public statement about it, I certainly do not feel it should deserve its own thread, as it really does boil down to "There is no process for you to take."  I would instead suggest amending the Groups, ranks, and hierarchy on PHP Freaks thread to include a brief summary of how one moves up in rank.

IMO this question doesn't come up regularly around here.

But if we were to nonetheless make a public statement about it, I certainly do not feel it should deserve its own thread, as it really does boil down to "There is no process for you to take."  I would instead suggest amending the Groups, ranks, and hierarchy on PHP Freaks thread to include a brief summary of how one moves up in rank.

Would make the most sense to me but a short mention in the FAQ, which I can't find BTW, can't hurt either.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.