Installing Ruby & Ruby on Rails with Centos 5.6

I am just curious does anyone know of any really good tutorials where I can install Ruby and Ruby on Rails with Centos v5.6?

It's just the default install from the Centos repos are not supported anymore with Ruby on rails, well they say they advise of a newer version of ruby.

Does anyone maybe know or who have done this before with this particular distribution?

I just wanted to get an idea of how to install it manually to get the latest updated version of Ruby and of course Rails on this particular distribution.

Thanks and I appreciate any replies,

Jeremy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just curious does anyone know of any really good tutorials where I can install Ruby and Ruby on Rails with Centos v5.6?

It's just the default install from the Centos repos are not supported anymore with Ruby on rails, well they say they advise of a newer version of ruby.

Does anyone maybe know or who have done this before with this particular distribution?

I just wanted to get an idea of how to install it manually to get the latest updated version of Ruby and of course Rails on this particular distribution.

Thanks and I appreciate any replies,

Jeremy.

I actually just wrote this post yesterday:

http://marvalle.tumblr.com/post/6781074167/install-ruby-on-rails-centos-5-6

You'll find it's exactly what you are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Every time I keep running the second links tutorial it keeps coming up with:

Could not locate Gemfile

After running:

bundle install

Plus is my server supposed to hang when I run:

gem install rails

Left it all last night running and when I got back to my server yesturday it was still trying to run a rdoc command.

This is the bit that my server constantly hangs on:

Installing RDoc documentation for builder-3.0.0...

unable to convert "\xF1" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8 for README, skipping

unable to convert "\xF1" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8 for README.rdoc, skipping

Just doesn't seem to which ever tutorial I ever use it just always hangs on that same feedback, if I try to reboot the server though when it's hanging (as it runs really really slowly), I try just on a whim to run 'rails new my_application' just a random application name, it comes up with the usual sqlite3 error here:

Installing sqlite3 (1.3.4) with native extensions

Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb

checking for sqlite3.h... yes

checking for sqlite3_libversion_number() in -lsqlite3... yes

checking for rb_proc_arity()... yes

checking for sqlite3_initialize()... no

checking for sqlite3_backup_init()... no

checking for sqlite3_column_database_name()... no

checking for sqlite3_enable_load_extension()... no

checking for sqlite3_load_extension()... no

creating Makefile

make

gcc -I. -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -DHAVE_RB_PROC_ARITY    -fPIC  -O2 -g -Wall -Wno-parentheses  -o sqlite3.o -c sqlite3.c

gcc -I. -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -DHAVE_RB_PROC_ARITY    -fPIC  -O2 -g -Wall -Wno-parentheses  -o exception.o -c exception.c

gcc -I. -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -DHAVE_RB_PROC_ARITY    -fPIC  -O2 -g -Wall -Wno-parentheses  -o backup.o -c backup.c

gcc -I. -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -DHAVE_RB_PROC_ARITY    -fPIC  -O2 -g -Wall -Wno-parentheses  -o database.o -c database.c

database.c: In function âinitializeâ:

database.c:47: error: âSQLITE_OPEN_READWRITEâ undeclared (first use in this function)

database.c:47: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

database.c:47: error: for each function it appears in.)

database.c:47: error: âSQLITE_OPEN_CREATEâ undeclared (first use in this function)

database.c:72: error: âSQLITE_OPEN_READONLYâ undeclared (first use in this function)

database.c:74: warning: implicit declaration of function âsqlite3_open_v2â

database.c: In function âset_sqlite3_func_resultâ:

database.c:278: error: âsqlite3_int64â undeclared (first use in this function)

database.c: In function âcollationâ:

database.c:621: warning: implicit declaration of function âsqlite3_create_collation_v2â

database.c: In function âload_extensionâ:

database.c:650: warning: implicit declaration of function âsqlite3_load_extensionâ

database.c: In function âenable_load_extensionâ:

database.c:671: warning: implicit declaration of function âsqlite3_enable_load_extensionâ

make: *** [database.o] Error 1

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sqlite3-1.3.4 for inspection.

Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sqlite3-1.3.4/ext/sqlite3/gem_make.out

An error occured while installing sqlite3 (1.3.4), and Bundler cannot continue.

Make sure that `gem install sqlite3 -v '1.3.4'` succeeds before bundling.

It's been constantly doing this, but my main concern is the server hanging when I try to install ruby on rails, it's really frustrating usually I can tell what's wrong but with this im confused, any helps massively appreciated as usual.

Jeremy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.