Please Review My Web Based Web Development App

Zipp425

I just finished creating it. It utilizes, Javascript, CSS, HTML, XML, PHP, and AJAX.

Since it is still in early stages of development, this version is targeted at the Myspace crowd. I'm hoping to get some hype so I can have a little support in the future.

[URL=http://2.0ize.justinmaier.com/index.php]Myspace 2.0ize[/URL]

How is the design?
Does it take to long to load?
Does it seem easy to use?
Any suggestions/ complaints?

[b]edit[/b] by neylitalo: Fixed broken link

[b]edit[/b] by zipp425: thanks!

All the picture boxes look very bunched up.

The top menu is a little confusing.

The javascript was broken in my IE6. (it did work - just gave the warning note on the bottom left of IE)

It did take a while (20-30secs) to load.

Novel idea. Seems like a nice bit of work gone into it.
You just need to smooth the rough edges.

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=111449.msg451825#msg451825 date=1160825222]
All the picture boxes look very bunched up.

The top menu is a little confusing.

The javascript was broken in my IE6. (it did work - just gave the warning note on the bottom left of IE)

It did take a while (20-30secs) to load.

Novel idea. Seems like a nice bit of work gone into it.
You just need to smooth the rough edges.

-steve
[/quote]

I like the idea, have to agree with the previous review. It was a bit confusing and do with make it a bit simpler especially if youre aiming at the myspace crowd. definately like it though and id use it once its up

Great thanks for the feedback guys.

I think the next release will be a lot more user friendly.
I will be adding a helper box to guide users through the process, along with a color picker for those who dont know hex colors.
As for load time, I dont see a way to cut it down much unless I ditch the widget menu at top with the fisheye effect (should i do it?).
I can probably add some effect to entertain users while it loads, like flickr.

the fisheye effect appears clumsy, and would no doubt be a pain for those on older browsers or crap connection speeds.  it's also difficult to read the text when it finally comes up over the nav.  i'd say ditch that effect - it may be eye candy, but it's distracting and difficult to work with (and as you said, increases load times).

the nav menu is also cramped against the content.  otherwise nice site.

[b]EDIT:  i just wanted to add that saying it uses javascript, php and AJAX is a little redundant.  AJAX isn't its own language, it's just a combination of PHP and Javscript in a novel way.[/b]

[b]EDIT the second:  neylitalo's right about the various server-sides available - i get narrow-minded when i get picky.[/b]

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=111449.msg452400#msg452400 date=1160981252]
... AJAX [is] just a combination of PHP and Javscript in a novel way.
[/quote]

I'm going to do a bit of nit-picking, here - it's not exactly quite like that, but close. AJAX doesn't have to be used with any particular language - it's just a way to make server-side calls "behind the scenes", without requiring a refresh. Of course we're interested in PHP in particular here, but it might be worth noting that it can also call perl scripts or any other server-side scripts.

Told you it was nit-picking. :)

haha. Thanks for letting me know your opinion about the fisheye list, Ill ditch it in the next version for something similar to the templates menu probably....

As for the ajax thing... I put it in there just because I know its a buzz word, and it makes me feel good about myself. haha.
Thanks for clarifying its definition

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.