Find date of last modified file on website?

HDFilmMaker2112

On a *nix host, you can exec this: 

find . -type f -printf '%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n' | sort -r | head -n 1

Replace the "." with whatever the parent directory is of the tree you need to check.  I'd probably do something like this:

$lastchanged = `/usr/bin/find /path_to_search  -type f -printf '%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n' | /usr/bin/sort -r | /usr/bin/head -n 1`;

Keep in mind that this is going to scan the filesystem everytime it's called, so if this is a large tree, that could be some substantial IO.  The filesystem is not an indexed database.  The results you get are going to look like this:

2011-06-11 12:42:55.0000000000 /home/david/foo.txt

So you would have to break the string into pieces but that is something done easily with explode.

I came up with this:

$files1 = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/*.php");
$files2 = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/*.php");
$files3 = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/images/*");
$files=array_merge($files1, $files2, $files3);
if(is_array($files) && count($files) > 0)
{
    foreach($files as $file)
    {

$filetime=filemtime($file);

}
}
$filetime=max($filetime);
$lastupdated="Last Updated: ".date ("F j, Y", filemtime($filetime));

But I get this error:

Warning: Wrong parameter count for max() in /home/zyquo/public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/func.php on line 32

It returns a date of Last Updated: December 31, 1969.

On a *nix host, you can exec this: 

find . -type f -printf '%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n' | sort -r | head -n 1

Replace the "." with whatever the parent directory is of the tree you need to check.  I'd probably do something like this:

$lastchanged = `/usr/bin/find /path_to_search  -type f -printf '%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n' | /usr/bin/sort -r | /usr/bin/head -n 1`;

Keep in mind that this is going to scan the filesystem everytime it's called, so if this is a large tree, that could be some substantial IO.  The filesystem is not an indexed database.  The results you get are going to look like this:

2011-06-11 12:42:55.0000000000 /home/david/foo.txt

So you would have to break the string into pieces but that is something done easily with explode.

I tried this just to check, error:

Warning: shell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/zyquo/public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/func.php on line 34

You're sending a string to the max() function. When only one parameter is sent to max(), it must be an array. This is because of the way you're assigning the value: $filetime = should be filetime[] =.

Added the [] results in this:

Warning: max() [function.max]: Array must contain at least one element in /home/zyquo/public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/func.php on line 33

The $files Array seems to be blank.

$files1[] = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/*.php");
$files2[] = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/*.php");
$files3[] = glob("./ghosthuntersportal.com/images/*");
$files[]=array_merge($files1, $files2, $files3);
if(is_array($files) && count($files) > 0)
{
    foreach($files as $file)
    {

$filetime[]=filemtime($file);

}
}
$lastupdated="Last Updated: ".date ("F j, Y", $filetime);

This returns the below:

Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for Array in /home/zyquo/public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/includes/func.php on line 27

my full path to the folder is public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/sub-folders

the code is contained in func.php which is in the includes sub-folder.

If I do:

glob("*.php");

Wouldn't it assume I'm looking for php files in the sub-folder the script is contained in? and not the main folder.

From your description, I think this is what you're after. Using a single dot signifies a path relative to the current directory, whereas a double dot indicates one directory above the current directory.

$files1[] = glob("../*.php");
$files2[] = glob("../includes/*.php");
$files3[] = glob("../images/*");

From your description, I think this is what you're after. Using a single dot signifies a path relative to the current directory, whereas a double dot indicates one directory above the current directory.

$files1[] = glob("../*.php");
$files2[] = glob("../includes/*.php");
$files3[] = glob("../images/*");

Still no luck. Any other ways to accomplish this without glob()?

Then let's try using that output to your advantage. This should work, assuming you've described the directory structure properly. See what happens with this code.

And why did you add square brackets to the $files1, $files2 and $files3 assignments?

$root = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];

$files1 = glob("$root/*.php");
$files2 = glob("$root/includes/*.php");
$files3 = glob("$root/images/*");
$files =array_merge($files1, $files2, $files3);

if(is_array($files) && count($files) > 0) {
     foreach($files as $file) {
          $filetime[]=filemtime($file);
     }
}
$lastupdated="Last Updated: ".date ("F j, Y", $filetime);

Then let's try using that output to your advantage. This should work, assuming you've described the directory structure properly. See what happens with this code.

And why did you add square brackets to the $files1, $files2 and $files3 assignments?

works perfectly like that... just removed the echos and now it's absolutely perfect. Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.