facebook - Detect if a user has liked a page or not

Novocaine88

Hi, I'm very new to trying to use facebook's api/sdk and i'm struggling to say the least. I'm trying to put in place code that will simply allow me to show some extra content on a web page if a user has "liked" it.

I'm not talking about a page on facebook. This is a separate website that currently has a like button using xfbml using this code;

<script type="text/javascript">
					  window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
						FB.init({appId: '#####', status: true, cookie: true,
								 xfbml: true});
					  };
					  (function() {
						var e = document.createElement('script'); e.async = true;
						e.src = document.location.protocol +
						  '//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js';
						document.getElementById('fb-root').appendChild(e);
					  }());
					</script>
					<fb:like-box profile_id="######" width="220" stream="false" header="false" connections="0"></fb:like-box>

Ideally i'd like to be able to place something as simple as the following code anywhere on a page;

if($HasLiked) {
// show some extra content
}

Every example i come across is considering my website an "app" and tells me that the user needs to authenticate my website to access the users information, which just isn't what i want.

I need only to check whether the user has liked the website they are on, nothing else.

If the facebook button itself can do this, surely it can't be that hard for me to do as well?

Anyway, some guidance on this would be great.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.