Donation button in forums

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=111503.msg452001#msg452001 date=1160879007]
As per phpfreak's thread, google adsense is here to stay and is not up for discussion otherwise.  comments on it can be made in this thread: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=110155.0

topic closed!
[/quote]

It is a little hard to discuss it/make comments on it in that topic when the topic is closed... Just because phpfreak said that it is going to stay, then I don't it doesn't mean that it wont be improved if anybody suggests a better way to do it.

And I seem to recall that the original post was not only regarding the google ads... so we may be able to get some constructive suggestions flowing yet. karthikeyan_coder, if you could elaborate on what you mean exactly, it would be possible that we may be able to do something.

We tried the Donation button on each post. It was red, and it was right next to the Reply button. You know how many donations we got? Like maybe $10 / month if we were lucky.  This is a fickle community when it comes to providing any kind of financial support to keeping the site going, therefore we have decided just to do what we can, and at this time it's Google AdSense because nobody else is going to help cover the bills.

I honestly don't see why everyone complains?  I mean free help that would normally cost lots of $$$. I think Google Ads are a small sacrifice for all this community provides.  People complain to complain, they will look for every little thing, and right now they are complaining about trying to keep this site going.

In my eyes this is not a topic that is complaining about the advertisments, but a topic where (s)he wants to suggest how it could be improved, but (s)he hasn't replied back...

I personally don't mind the advertisments, but here is a suggestion from me:
Perhaps there could be shown a "reply" after every eg fifth reply with ads in? That would solve the problem with the [nobbc][code][/nobbc]-boxes

hmmm i actually like them as they are. sure, they cause problems with code boxes but i'm sure that's a "teething problem" that'll be sorted out rather than a permanent side effect. forums with them after every so many posts tend to get a little OTT, and people are generally scrolling down to look at each reply, not the adverts.

Am I the only one that sees the fault in the logic of "after the first reply"????  The whole point is to get the impressions.  If a thread doesn't get any replies, we still get the impressions.

[quote author=ober link=topic=111503.msg452579#msg452579 date=1161004115]
Am I the only one that sees the fault in the logic of "after the first reply"????  The whole point is to get the impressions.  If a thread doesn't get any replies, we still get the impressions.
[/quote]
Exactly... keep those impressions coming!

I personally don't mind the adverts. They are less intrusive as other sites. No annoying pops etc. I think that the least the we can do is put up with them. I have all but forgot about them until I came across this post.

However, I have seen many suggestions meet with sarcasm and hostility. That I do mind. That has nothing to do with helping the community. If anything that hurts us. Many people will not post a suggestion if they think that they are go to be ridiculed and made to look like an idiot in front a large community like this.

Thanks,
Tom

I'm sorry... but you expect us to sit here and take repeated beatings about running adverts to keep the site alive?  You have no idea how many times we've been talked to outside of these threads about it.

One can only take so much before we start getting snippy about the complaints.

[quote author=ober link=topic=111503.msg452926#msg452926 date=1161053740]
One can only take so much before we start getting snippy about the complaints.
[/quote]

I completely agree with that. I am glad that it not something that I have to deal with. I am not going to sit here and pretend to know exactly how that feels. To put all the time that you put into this site and only to have someone, that doesnt really know what they are talking about, complain about something that has been discussed many times before. I can see how that can get really annoying.

I just think that there is a better and more diplomatic way of handling it.

Thanks,
Tom

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=111503.msg452933#msg452933 date=1161055036]
I thought I locked this topic because I could done see where it was leading?  who unlocked it, and would you care to shed light on why you overruled my decision to lock it without first sending me a PM to discuss the validity of my decision?
[/quote]
I'm not sure it was ever locked, I saw that you said "topic locked!", but I was able to reply anyways.