Inserting before the first entry

minavio

What I mean is, when I run a

mysql_query (\"INSERT INTO ...

command, it will sometimes append the new entry at the end of the table, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes in the middle... I don\'t know how to tell it to always insert the entry at the beginning of the table.

if u deleted some records, the data file will contain a \'hole\'. If u insert a new record mysql will re-use these \'holes\'. So you have no chance to get control over this behaviour \'til you take the source and build the engine new.

But how do you check for the order? A select-statement doesn\'t say anything about the physically order in the files; it\'s just in which order mysql proceeds the records...

By the way: in most databases there\'s a possibility to defrag & re-organize your tables. But in this case, the new records will find a place at the end of the data file...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.