What is making it so that the this else statment is appearing?

jwk811

I am creating a membership and got it so that someone can register and the info goes to a database.. after that they recieve an email and are given a link to click to activate their account. Heres the acivate.php file.
[code]<?
/* Account activation script */

// Get database connection
include 'db.php';

// Create variables from URL.

$userid = $_REQUEST['id'];
$code = $_REQUEST['code'];

$sql = mysql_query("UPDATE users SET activated='1' WHERE userid='$userid' AND password='$code'");

$sql_doublecheck = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE userid='$userid' AND password='$code' AND activated='1'");
$doublecheck = mysql_num_rows($sql_doublecheck);

if($doublecheck == 0){
    echo "<strong><font color=red>Your account could not be activated!</font></strong>";
} elseif ($doublecheck > 0) {
    echo "<strong>Your account has been activated!</strong> You may login below!<br />";
    include 'login.php';
}

?>[/code]
For some reason everytime I do it, it will say "Your account could not be activated!". And I can see that in the if else statment its double checking to make sure that the activated cell in the table on my database is set to 1, but why isn't is setting it to 1? That's why I'm getting the error? Would you happen to know why? I'm connecting to the database and everything okay, is there something wrong with this script? Any help would be great!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.