Modified PHP fork based on PHP 5.3.6

QuickOldCar

It's hardly a fork at all, that name was given primarily to attract visitors (from what I've read).  Some of the changes would be nice, others very welcome, others not so much at all. 

It would be worth mentioning that his approach sucked (publishing the changes without even attempting to talk to the PHP guys about merging them) but he has since come along and offered them up for discussion within PHP.  Open source works best if the changes can flow upstream.

It's hardly a fork at all, that name was given primarily to attract visitors (from what I've read).  Some of the changes would be nice, others very welcome, others not so much at all. 

It would be worth mentioning that his approach sucked (publishing the changes without even attempting to talk to the PHP guys about merging them) but he has since come along and offered them up for discussion within PHP.  Open source works best if the changes can flow upstream.

That's actually one of the issues that has kept me from writing about this, because I want to present both sides of the discussion and unless I have time to do the topic justice, I'm not going to bother.  In looking at it, it's more interesting as an idea than in a practical sense.  It's good to hear that at least he's talking to the core devs now.

Can't blame him. Whether your stuff gets implemented is dependent on that there is not some idiot on the top who vetos because it's against some stupid axiom he made for that special occasion. There may be a million votes for the proposol, and none against, but that doesn't matter if someone decides that his personal vision is more important than a community decision.

Can't blame him. Whether your stuff gets implemented is dependent on that there is not some idiot on the top who vetos because it's against some stupid axiom he made for that special occasion. There may be a million votes for the proposol, and none against, but that doesn't matter if someone decides that his personal vision is more important than a community decision.

That certainly does happen, but if you never even attempted to submit the patches, it's guaranteed that they won't be accepted. 

One thing I like is that he just removed a lot of the backwards compatibility garbage that has been on the deprecation list for a long time, although even there, he included short open tags, which I think have value for a lot of people in templating.  I also think it's interesting that certain constructs perform so poorly that you have to learn through the grapevine to avoid them, and use the techniques that perform. 

Overall, I think this has caused some healthy dialogue to occur and may shake off some complacency.

That certainly does happen, but if you never even attempted to submit the patches, it's guaranteed that they won't be accepted. 

I was basing my rant on particular encounters with certain members of the PHP Group. I can't be bothered going into details, but as a result I ultimately decided that I no longer wanted to contribute.

Of course there needs to be leadership, but there is a such thing as bad leadership.

I was basing my rant on particular encounters with certain members of the PHP Group. I can't be bothered going into details, but as a result I ultimately decided that I no longer wanted to contribute.

Of course there needs to be leadership, but there is a such thing as bad leadership.

Agree 100%.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.