Making a search bar like php freak's

I am trying to set up a search box similar to the one on PHPFreaks at the top of every page.

Being new not only to DW and php I am out of my debt with this one. The problem that I have is that although the search box appears in the table that I have selected for it, it has increased in height when viewed by my browser. So it looks like there is another blank table row underneath it. I have tried resizing my table but with no luck. Yet in DW it still looks like it is only taking up one row. If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be very thankful as I have been banging my head against the wall for the last 3 days on this one.

The form is called from my index.php by <?php include ("filesearch.php")?>

filesearch.php

<table width="700" height="13" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3">

<tr>

<td valign="left"> <form id="topform" method="get" action="/tsep/log.php">

<label for="q"></label>

<label for="label"><font size="-1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Search

for</font></label> <input id="label" type="text" name="q" value="">

<input name="submit" type="image" title="Go" src="/images/go.gif" alt="Go" align="middle" width="20" height="20">

<input type="hidden" name="$s" value="0" /> <input type="hidden" name="$e" value="10" />

<input type="hidden" name="searchpagelocation" value="/tsep/search.php" />

</form></td>

</tr>

</table>

do yourself a favour and learn html, dreamweaver will do you no favours if your learning. one things you will come to realise is that different browsers handle things in different ways, and that you will really need an understanding of the underlying code. sure dreamweaver can get you off to a quick start, but without html knowledge, these kinds of problems are going to pop up all the time.

do yourself a favour and learn html, dreamweaver will do you no favours if your learning. one things you will come to realise is that different browsers handle things in different ways, and that you will really need an understanding of the underlying code. sure dreamweaver can get you off to a quick start, but without html knowledge, these kinds of problems are going to pop up all the time.

254626[/snapback]

i agree and disagree, thorpe. dreamweaver makes it VERY easy to avoid underlying code, and just get on with drawing pretty tables and plonking text and graphics all over the place, but it's a very good way to get off to a very fast start and can even, to an extent, be a good learning tool.

even with something so idiot-proof as dreamweaver (hence why i use it!!!), it's still very unpredictable with the results it spouts out. don't trust the WYSIWYG capabilities of it at all, and try, as thorpe sad, to get a bit deeper into understanding HTML. tables are very funny things, as is HTML, and can be unpredictable at the best of times.

use dreamweaver as kinda like a notepad for your ideas instead of a serious WYSIWYG tool.

i don't necessarily mean to rehash what has just been said, but just a view from another dreamweaver user who had (and still has) these problems occasionally.

cheers

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. Yes I do agree that DW is not the be all and end all but it is fast to get a basic page set up and take it from there with the coding. It's not perfect but allows the outline of a site to be made quickly. Having said that I will be learning html and php. Thank you for the links thorpe.

Regarding the original question, the problem lay with the form, and not this time DW. All has been sorted now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.