Google+

Alex

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a topic about this already...

I'm sure most of you have already heard about Google+: "Google's response to Facebook".

I was never a big Facebook user, in fact I never really used it seriously. Granted this probably isn't the most well informed opinion considering I haven't really ever used it intensively, but I always felt Facebook had too many superfluous features and not enough useful ones. That being said, I'm fairly impressed with Google+ thus far.

I especially like the "circles" feature which allows you to easily control who you share what with. While Facebook does have more or less the same ability, I feel that it's better implemented in Google+ and more focused on, which I feel is important. Specifically, the UI for adding people to certain circles provides nice visual feedback and representation that I feel really does make a difference. In general, the UI is very clean with many cool HTML5 additions.

Based on first impressions, I think I could see myself using this actively in the future. It already has a bunch of useful features and I'm sure that Google has plenty more planned. Overall, it seems to come together rather well. The deep ubiquitous integration that Google is planning for Google+ into its other products is another huge selling point. Personally, I use tons of Google products throughout my day, and I'm sure many of you do too. It's almost as if you can't escape it, and I'm not sure as of yet if that's a good or a bad thing.

Judging by the amount of attention Google+ has garnered and how sought after the invites are, it seems many people are looking for a change, and Facebook should be scared. Google might have found its way, finally, into social networking. What do you think about Google+?

Oh, and if you want an invite feel free to request one in this thread  ;).

They've had two actually, this is their third attempt (remember Buzz?) I wonder if they're so persistent so that they can gain the same advertising capabilities as Facebook? With more and more people becoming "aware" of behavioural tracking, and not to mention these ridiculous EU cookie laws next year, Google may be planning for the future..?

Looks as though they've got too many users for the time being though so I can't have a play!

@MrAdam: even though they've disabled direct invites (at least they were closed last I checked), there's still a way around it. You can send a post directed at the email address of someone you want to invite and they'll get an indirect kind of invitation to sign up. 90% of the time they can sign up through that, and even if they can't there's another loop hole to accept the invitation via mobile.

Would you like an invite?

I always thought Facebook was over-rated, and honestly I always got laughed at when I said I don't understand Facebook. The one term which comes up in my mind to describe Facebook precisely is "twisted logic", which is what I think of every time Facebook comes up.

I never could get into social media anyway, IMO it is a too primitive way of communicating - I just hope Google is going to do a better job.

@MrAdam: even though they've disabled direct invites (at least they were closed last I checked), there's still a way around it. You can send a post directed at the email address of someone you want to invite and they'll get an indirect kind of invitation to sign up. 90% of the time they can sign up through that, and even if they can't there's another loop hole to accept the invitation via mobile.

Oooh Oooh, I want one! dockeryz at gmail

Oooh Oooh, I want one! dockeryz at gmail

Sent!

I enjoyed with it a couple of days now... Its too good. I think Google+ will be definitely much more successful.

Interesting thing of Google+:

Mark Zuckerberg (CEO of Facebook) is Google+'s most followed user.

Most followed Google+ user is not a politician, musician, a celebrity or even Google's own CEO, Larry Page & Sergey Brin. :o

Do people think that Facebook's success was primarily down to the natural insecurities found in teenagers and young adolescents in college and university, the dependency of social status, then coupled with herd mentality? If so, even if Google + is going to be a success, then its main audience will surely be of a similar age.

I hear more and more now I have left uni some of my friends saying 'facebook feels a little childish now, it's ok as an extended address book, but nothing else.' Why would anyone want to bother with all the change which would involve google+... i suppose though google already planned this years and years ago, thus the google android world... where to use any of the google android smartphone you need a googlemail account...

I mainly email my friends these days when they are work through the work email. When i get home i have a girlfriend to see and beer in the pub to drink... or a beach with waves that need surfing....etc: having a conference call with google+... hmm. Good application for the professional environment and every now and again maybe with groups of friends who are all over the place (which would require some pretty keen organising)...

Bottom line, in my opinion:

Google should simply not be allowed to do this.

It is a fine example of monopolization.

Saying this is most likely the same as pissing in the wind. Centralising the world of the internet into the hands of a few can never be a good thing: regardless of GUI.

Were you expecting smoke signals [...] ?

Going old school! :D

Mark Zuckerberg (CEO of Facebook) is Google+'s most followed user.

Yeah, I found that interesting... although for that site to track it you have to input your ID and it'll ping the API. Otherwise I don't think it will. (If you're talking about this site)

I hear more and more now I have left uni some of my friends saying 'facebook feels a little childish now, it's ok as an extended address book, but nothing else.'
Facebook is turning into the new Myspace IMO. I see G+ as a more mature audience (as was FB at the beginning.) Of course, that'll change over time and when the next big thing hits all the bleeding edge folks will jump onto that and eventually that'll turn into the "new myspace." It's just the nature of this type of application.

...where to use any of the google android smartphone you need a googlemail account...

Just like you need an Apple account to use the iPhone, or a BB account to use a crackberry?

I mainly email my friends these days when they are work through the work email. When i get home i have a girlfriend to see and beer in the pub to drink... or a beach with waves that need surfing....etc: having a conference call with google+... hmm. Good application for the professional environment and every now and again maybe with groups of friends who are all over the place (which would require some pretty keen organising)...

I sort of agree - I see it as an enhancement to real life, not to take over it. Think of it like email on steroids - you can send photos, have a quick conversation when its convenient or  if more than one person has time & can't meetup IRL, you can always "hangout" online.

I'll beg to differ on this too. A monopoly would be that you had no choice but to use Google's apps. It's not the only kid on the block. Sure, all your friends are on G+ instead of MySpace/Facebook or you might prefer Google's search results, but that doesn't mean it's a monopoly.

Centralising the world of the internet into the hands of a few can never be a good thing: regardless of GUI.

Can you explain more? I, for one, welcome this. It's super convenient, typically a lot more secure (since you're trusting one company that most likely knows WTF they are doing instead of hundreds of amateur developers that could store your password in plain text *cough*Sony*cough*) and the new GUI is a plus :)

Edit - it makes me sad that after all of these years people still friend tom - the one that forced you to be friends with him: http://socialstatistics.com/?include=statistics&id=2015 :P

...where to use any of the google android smartphone you need a googlemail account...

Just like you need an Apple account to use the iPhone, or a BB account to use a crackberry?

True, however google has its fingers in a lot more pies that apple, and a whole load more that blackberry (pies :)).

I sort of agree - I see it as an enhancement to real life, not to take over it. Think of it like email on steroids - you can send photos, have a quick conversation when its convenient or  if more than one person has time & can't meetup IRL, you can always "hangout" online.

Great. But then, why do people not go onto facebook at work? The reason being, it is frowned upon to do so in the working environment. Sending a quick email to a mate is hidden.

I'll beg to differ on this too. A monopoly would be that you had no choice but to use Google's apps. It's not the only kid on the block. Sure, all your friends are on G+ instead of MySpace/Facebook or you might prefer Google's search results, but that doesn't mean it's a monopoly.

I agree, i choose the wrong word for this. However, what do you call it when one company has the resources to do all the things that google is doing, and does it, crushing competition?

Centralising the world of the internet into the hands of a few can never be a good thing: regardless of GUI.

Can you explain more? I, for one, welcome this. It's super convenient, typically a lot more secure (since you're trusting one company that most likely knows WTF they are doing instead of hundreds of amateur developers that could store your password in plain text *cough*Sony*cough*) and the new GUI is a plus :)

Neville chamberlain white paper. How can anyone really trust a giant company? Google has everything from the licence plates to the credit card details of millions! If one wrong person got to this data.... People (and people on here) borked at the idea of a secure internet ID, saying' wooo, thats too big of a security risk!'.

don't forget their short fling with "wave"

i haven't opened g+ yet but i heard it is more fluid yet has bugs

the question is what they are planning for businesses,

as social has become more mainstream and every business promoting the facebook

logo they'll need a serious surprise for us all!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.