I Agree Button

We are constantly trying to improve PHP Freaks and these forums, so feel free to go to the PHPFreaks Comments/Suggestions board and point out anything you'd like to see different!

Just a little suggestion: would be kind of cool to have a little 'I Agree' button under each post (kind of like what yahoo answers has with the voting system). Avoids a lot of unnecessary text and quickly lets the original posted know what the community's preferred answer is.

Hmm... but majority vote isn't necessarily a measure of quality or correctness. I'm not convinced that this is the solution.

Hypothetical scenario: User A asks a question, user B responds with a half-decent answer and gets 5 votes for that. Now user C provides a much better answer (let's just for the sake of argument suppose that we by some objective standard can determine that). User A returns to his post and observes that user B has 5 votes and user C has 0, indicating that the answer provided by user B is better, contrary to reality. Now what?

Good point.

Maybe restrict the voting to people who have a certain amount of posts (therefor more experience).

or, in each post, a member can only vote on 1 answer, therefor if I voted A, but later decided B was a better option, I simply vote B and my previous vote gets transferred, and removed from A.

Just a thought.

depends on your point of view, but a person who has 2000 posts, (doesn't matter if they were questions or answers) MUST have learnt quite a lot, otherwise he (or she) is basically a complete moron.

Or maybe just consider answers as valid posts counts...

I'm just throwing ideas out, but as with any new feature/change, things have to be brainstormed until they end up making sense (or not)

Hmm... but majority vote isn't necessarily a measure of quality or correctness. I'm not convinced that this is the solution.

Hypothetical scenario: User A asks a question, user B responds with a half-decent answer and gets 5 votes for that. Now user C provides a much better answer (let's just for the sake of argument suppose that we by some objective standard can determine that). User A returns to his post and observes that user B has 5 votes and user C has 0, indicating that the answer provided by user B is better, contrary to reality. Now what

No system is ever going to be 100%.  Always gonna be some exceptions.  But IMO it works pretty damn nicely on sites that do implelent a post voting system.  Look at SO

Actually, speed is a factor on StackOverflow. If you're late to the party, your chance of getting many upvotes is diminished.

I do admit it is pretty fast paced there, and it is hard to get a well thought out answer in before others are posted and voted.  However, from my experience there, the best answers do indeed tend to have the most votes

how about subscribing people who have already voted to the forum, so they get a notification when a new solution is posted? That way they can go back and change their vote if the newer solution is better.

This idea about 'voting' came to me, because there are many questions that have more than 1 solution (hell, in programming, there are normally many solutions to each problem)...

or.. the votes could be categorized, like:

simple solution, unsecure solution, secure solution, etc... (gotta think about this better)

(sometimes, from a programming point of view, if I'm just doing script to test stuff for myself, I'm not really interested in security issues, as the links won't even be public, other times, security is my main concern.)

I like the idea.  Like CV said, SO does it quite nicely and it works well.

Sure, I agree with you, but it's better than nothing.  If I came from Google it would help me greatly if I could go to the most popular post/answer because the majority of the time it's going to be the best solution.  If not, oh well, you're back to where you were before.

how about subscribing people who have already voted to the forum, so they get a notification when a new solution is posted? That way they can go back and change their vote if the newer solution is better.

I think there are too many posts for that.  It would be a bit chaotic.

or.. the votes could be categorized, like:

simple solution, unsecure solution, secure solution, etc... (gotta think about this better)

Too complex.  Just keep it simple.  You have a question, vote what's the best all around answer.  Like I said above, people searching for a question are benefited best from a simple 'this reply is the most popular answer'.

Right.  As I mentioned, there is no 100% solution.  Even if we were to have experts go in and hand-pick answers...even then, due to the nature of the interwebs, those answers are subject to become outdated later.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try something that has some margin of error.  We can plainly see that in practice, most of the time, the most popular or highest voted answers are indeed good answers.

Are we talking just upvotes?  Or being able to select one post as the answer?  A combination of the two? 

AFAIK we're talking about upvotes, like how it is on StackOverflow.

Are we talking just upvotes?  Or being able to select one post as the answer?  A combination of the two? 

AFAIK we're talking about upvotes, like how it is on StackOverflow.

How hard would it be to implement both, like with SO?  Having the OP of a thread select an answer could automatically trigger the "Topic Solved' mod.

Downvoting may be more tricky given our newbie friendly stance.  Positive reinforcement only may be the best route to go.

Agreed. That's one thing I hate on SO is when people downvote you just so their answer gets more rep.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.