Ruby - what do people say?

eric1235711

From what I have seen of ruby, it is very similar to PHP.  Of course, programming in ruby is said to be MUCH MUCH quicker.  The main reason for this is the extended Framwork, Rails, giving it the name Ruby on Rails :)  Personally, i think the framework still needs alot of work done to it but as far as Ruby is concerned I wouldn't mind putting a bit of it into my site.  It can do something things with simplicity that is difficult to do in PHP...but then again, it can go vise versa on that as well.

personally (and not a thoroughly researched statement) I can't help thinking that ruby (notably the full monty, ie Ruby on Rails) is one of those "Web 2.0 bandwagon" things. Like AJAX.
Now, AJAX has been very useful to me in my development for little bits and pieces. But very often i see sites and examples that use AJAX for the sake of using it, even though the same thing could be achieved without it with no noticable difference for the user. Ruby seems to be the same. I see plenty of places where people put little RoR demos on there and scream from the top of the mountains "hey, i use RoR!".

I personally need some more convincing on this one. If anything, at least it's made people think about "ideal development environments" and new ways of getting work done quicker, but this one (unlike AJAX) is a bandwagon i'm not gonna jump on. steelman summed it up:

[code]
It can do something things with simplicity that is difficult to do in PHP...but then again,
it can go vise versa on that as well.
[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.