Linux drivers / controllers

tendouser

Yes, they are called kernel modules.  A subset of kernel modules are device drivers.  This provides you some information about key commands like modprobe and lsmod.  There is no universal source for device drivers, and often, because linux device drivers are written by people other than the hardware manufacturers themselves, you have to understand what the underlying hardware components are.  This site has links to a lot of resources you can read about:  http://www.linux-drivers.org/

My question is because I want Ubuntu to remove Windows.  I'm tired with Microsoft crap.

Ok...?

A) Why are you tired of it?

B) What kind of drivers are you looking for? Giz posted a great link, and you can always check the manufacturers website to see if they officially support the linux version of the driver.

I have to pay for MS, they sell like all their software is the best thing in the world ...which is not and is unstable.  I've seen a lot of crap since Win98. 

Besides, I want to learn linux and Ubuntu is great.  I have try it in a friend's laptop.

You should start with a LiveCD and see how that works on your machine.  A liveCD boots up Linux off the CD and will attempt to recognize the hardware you have. If that runs and you can get a GUI up, you have a pretty good idea that the hardware in your machine will be found by the Ubuntu installer, since both have a common heritage in Debian.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.