Error Logs with it mod_rewrite urls

Hopefully this is the right section to post this in.

I've been checking through our error logs and I've noticed quite a few like this:

[Thu Jul 07 09:36:01 2011] [error] [client ip_here] File does not exist: /home/username/public_html/company-search

Now we have a htaccess mod-rewrite on and this part is:

RewriteRule ^company-search$ companylist.php
RewriteRule ^company-search/$ companylist.php

It works fine, and when I go to mydomain.com/company-search it works fine.

But this would indicate to me that it isn't working for some people. At it seems to be doing the same on other pages that are similar. Any ideas? :confused:

Is the .htaccess file in question stored in your Root directory? Do you get an entry appear in the error log every time you attempt to view one of the aforementioned pages? As an outside chance, do any of the resources included on those pages throw 404 errors (the Net tab in FireBug will highlight this for you)?

Thanks for your reply!

The .htaccess is in the root dir yes.

When I visit the mentioned pages and then check the logs there is nothing (even for my IP), but there are sometimes 10+ of the same 'missing page' for the same IP at exactly the same time. But these pages work fine for me and have done on every machine i've ever tested on!

I've visited all pages with firebug running and I received no errors and the odd ajax post.

Seems really strange to me, but errors keep appearing in the logs.

Any other ideas?

I'm not really sure TBH. I can't seem to find anything much on error log's being generated after a successful redirect, which seems to indicate that it's failing for some reason, but I know of no reason a .htaccess file would intermittently fail. What type of server are you running this on, do you have access to try moving the code into the vhost rather than a .htaccess file. I can't see it making much difference, but may be an interesting experiment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.