First site from the ground up

westis4me

I had built a multiplication game for my students a few years ago but I based it on a modified template. So, this is my first real try at going from concept to completion using a text editor. I went with as much css as I could figure out. I tried to validate css/html, which failed. The failure comes from inclusion of js and social plugin code. Fixing those issues are way over my head and I don't think they effect the view.

I have viewed the site in current browsers: Chrome win/mac, FF win/mac, Safari win/mac/ipone/ipad. I did everything I could to make it work at any resolution but when you get below 1024 things start to look a little wonky.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. I am pretty sure that I have some redundancy in the css but I took it as far as I could. I would be interested in any information for improvement. Is the UI user friendly? Can you follow the directions? That kind of stuff.

Thanks a lot for looking. http://www.westis4me.com/obor/

Thank you for looking. I was really trying to do everything I could to keep the site to one page. I have been teaching 8-9 year olds/3rd grade for 12 years and I have learned in that time that teachers like to be able to print things. I attempted to get a modal window to display the .pdf but I couldn't get it to work. I thought having links down at the bottom would get them out of the way for game-play. The game is sort of geared toward interactive white boards.

Would you still suggest moving the link for DArules?

I'd just put the link in the middle, where 'Da Rules' already is on the blackboard.  I actually tried clicking there when I first visited the site.

I still think they should, at the very least, be in HTML format in addition to .pdf.  Some other schools may not allow Adobe plugins (if they have smart IT managers, anyway... Adobe products are pretty bad when it comes to security, and represent common attack vectors, with Flash Player and Acrobat Reader being the worst), and I'm not a fan of relying on a non-browser-only solution when it's not necessary.

You can make a printer friendly version with just HTML and CSS as well, using CSS' @media directive.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.