"Notify me of replies", what does it mean ?

When i start a topic/thread or reply for a post i get and option "Notify me of replies" at bottom of the form as a checkbox.

Is this for email notification of forum notification ?

That's confusing.

Forum notification is >Profile>Modify Profile>Notification.

To clarify, the "notify me of replies" checkbox at the bottom of the form in a thread/post does the same thing as the one you pointed out in profile settings, except on a local level.  If you were to do it in your profile settings, it would apply to all topics you post in or start.  If you don't want that, and want to just be notified of specific ones, then you should keep it disabled in your profile and use the checkbox option in the individual threads.

You probably already know this but you can also manually check to see if there are new replies to any topics you replied in after your most recent reply (hope that makes sense).

Top left -> Show new replies to your posts.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.