Getting Started

R_P

Because PHP and extension are written in C, I figure thats what I'd better start learning. Anyone have good suggestions on where to get:

A. A good (and by good I mean free) editor and/or compiler for C.

B. An online tutorial or lessons that would at least get me in the write direction.

Already tried a Google search to make sure nothing was glaringly obvious. I've been coding PHP for the last 4 years and have started doing PERL scripts, (with of course some java thrown in there but who hasn't?) figure nows a good time to up the ante!

Thanks!

Ryan

You dont NEED to learn C to use PHP. In fact, both are pretty different. Trust me, just go straight to PHP. It will save you about two years work.

obviously if he / she has been writting php for 4 years they realise they dont need to learn C in order to write php?

ive just started learning C myself. bought a book, but there are a few good sites around. this should get you started. and there is a nice quick reference here. i had a bit of trouble finding much more + i hate learning by reading my computer monitor. hence the book :-P

as for a compiler.... what os are you using? any nix based system should come with the gcc compiler. if your on windows you might try dev-C++ it is a windows compiler and ide. you dont need an ide though, any text editor will do.

good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.