User Management System

etrader

I have created a very simple CMS by storing articles in mysql database. Everything is OK for my need; but I have no idea how to handle user management. I have created a table for users and a page to create new accounts.

But how I can restrict the article submission page to logged in users?

How I can show a widget of profile of logged users?

I think there are different ways to do so; define(), cookie, ....

What is the best method as CMSes normally use?

Thank you in advance  ;)

In addition to gristoi's post:

You can also use cookies. I used to use sessions a lot for user tracking, but got more into using cookies instead. (Same thing pretty for the most part. Sessions = server side, Cookies = client side)

When I use cookies, I usually create a token associated with an IP address in the database. Then I send the token to the browser as sort of its temporary password. When they load the next page, I verify the token and the IP address. (To try and prevent cross-site hacks.)

Cookies

http://php.net/manual/en/features.cookies.php

XSS

http://www.acunetix.com/websitesecurity/xss.htm

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.