Wordpress: get_page_by_title() generating PHP error after upgrading PHP

pealo86

I've recently had my hosts upgrade PHP on my server to 5.2.17

Since that time, I am no longer able to use the get_page_by_title() function on my Wordpress Multisite.

Whereever that function is used, I get an error like the following:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in /var/www/vhosts/ ...

If I remove that function in particular, the error goes away. So there's obviously just something about the server configuration that doesn't like this function, though I have no idea what!

Has anyone else had this problem? I've had a very hard time finding similar problems on Google

Here's the code for the function.  Check this against the code for your wordpress install.  Are you using a current version or an old one? 

I would personally suggest putting in some debugging code to figure out what is going on.  As you can see it's a pretty simple function that calls a few other functions, which could be having issues.  I don't know what would happen if you encountered a database error here, say if the structure doesn't match the query.

In particular, there is a parameter in this function ($output) that can control the type of return value.  It is possible that your template code is expecting an array, and getting an object instead. 

/**
* Retrieve a page given its title.
* @since 2.1.0
* @uses $wpdb
* @param string $page_title Page title
* @param string $output Optional. Output type. OBJECT, ARRAY_N, or ARRAY_A. Default OBJECT.
* @param string $post_type Optional. Post type. Default page.
* @return mixed
*/
function get_page_by_title($page_title, $output = OBJECT, $post_type = 'page' ) {
global $wpdb;

$page = $wpdb->get_var( $wpdb->prepare( "SELECT ID FROM $wpdb->posts WHERE post_title = %s AND post_type= %s", $page_title, $post_type ) );
if ( $page )
	return get_page($page, $output);

return null;
}

Ohhh I see! Thanks for the tip, funnily enough I just had to fix it using some other workaround (e.g. scrapping the template tag and finding another way of doing it).

But I'll keep this in mind for next time ;) If there is a next time!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.