sql version verification

mckooter

okay i recently tried a new hosting idea for one of my sites, to increase bandwith, in this they advertised mysql4 which is good cause all my scripts were installed for mysql4, now im importing my sql files and running into syntax errors, so before i made a bunch of stupid posts before checking i looked into it, in this i found a few ways to check mysql versions (via google search)

im newer to php and mysql and do only minor work so im not sure if i can trust these scripts word, here they are,

first script, (first one i learned in php):
[code]<?

phpinfo();

?>[/code]
( http://www.mckooter.com/phpinfo.php )

under mysql in that page:
[quote]Client API version 3.23.49[/quote]

SECOND SCRIPT:
[code]<?php
function find_SQL_Version() {
  $output = shell_exec('mysql -V');
  preg_match('@[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+@', $output, $version);
  return $version[0];
}

echo 'Your SQL version is ' . find_SQL_Version();
?> [/code]
( http://www.mckooter.com/sql.php )
Result:
[quote]Your SQL version is 3.23.58[/quote]

emailed support at this time because their help says they run 4.0.24 and from what i could see they werent, response i got:
(obviously form letter)
[quote]We are currently running the 4.0.24 version of MySQL on all of our shared hosting servers. Please follow these directions to import your sql file.[/quote]

Do i just not know what im looking at or is my server not really running mysql4, i dont want to send them an email telling them they are wrong unless i know for a fact they are, i cant see how it couldnt be but as i stated above im newer,

thanks for reviewing my long message, i like to include all the data so i dont have to reply again and again because i forgot something stupid,

Chris