phpfreaks professional ?

Hello,

this is just something that I was thinking about for some time now.
Would it be possible to create a pay phpfreaks forum ?
Something like the freelancing forum where you could post problems that you pay to get resolved ?

For example I would like to have a php function or object that generates a location selector.
the dropdowns should be responsive by javascript and the content of the dropdowns is pulled out of a database using php (best way i could think of)

I know that if I ask for this I will get my answer in the end.
BUT say I am in a hurry and would like to get this solved fast and willing to pay for this.

I don't realy want to post such a thing in the freelance forum as it is not a real job.
but I would like phpfreaks to benefit from this.

Here is what I would like to see
a forum where you can post a problem but where only the creator and the php approved members can reply.
this forum should be readable for all
a paying mechanism upfront or afterwards (I would not mind using paypall and paying upfront a fixed amount of money)

It is just an idea and I can as easily find reasons not to do this as I can find reasons well to do this.

EDIT
I was of course forgetting to say THANKS for the exellent site you maintain

kind regards
anatak

yes I know as I wrote here
[quote]
this is just something that I was thinking about for some time now.
Would it be possible to create a pay phpfreaks forum ?
Something like the freelancing forum where you could post problems that you pay to get resolved ?
[/quote]

but the idea was to give money to phpfreaks not to freelancers.

i actually think that (in some form) it's a good idea. sometimes i do think the freelance forum can get a little cluttered - a single forum for paid/uppaid, for hire/wanted - and many posts don't state paid/unpaid in the topic title as the guidelines state.
managing the payments is probably its downfall. the thing with the freelance forum at the moment is that it lets coders/clients sort out the payments between themselves meaning phpfreaks doesnt get involved in any mess that maybe involved.
there's also the case of vetting things that go in there. there are tonnes of posts in php help forum that are self-class as 'urgent', so I could see plenty of people posting in this new area stuff that should go in php help with a donation offer of $1 or something. i guess it could work as a 'subscription' forum where you'd need to have an account in credit to post there, but then there's the case of value for money - would the admins/mods/php recommended go out of their way to help any more than the normal php help forum? i.e, would a problem get solved any quicker?

like i say, i dont think it's a bad idea and definitely (if it COULD be implemented properly) a nice way of phpfreaks getting donations.

cheers
Mark

daniel0
that is indeed the biggest drawback.
The risk is that the most experienced phpfreaks helpers will concentrate too much on the paying forum.
It was just an idea
I mean phpfreaks works fantastic as it is.

So let me get this straight:

You want a board where the questions answered in that board will benefit the community in terms of money.... but not the person answering the questions? 

Who in their right mind is going to do that?  No offense, but if you're not giving the helper any incentive to do the work, you're not going to gain much in terms of getting things done.  The only way I can see this working is if the developer gets a cut as well.

And I can pretty much tell you that this isn't going to happen.  All of these things end up in some kind of legal battle where someone doesn't pay or someone doesn't get the exact answer that they want or IF the developers are getting a cut and more than one developer responds... who gets the money?  Besides, that's not what the "PHPFreaks Recommended" group was created for.  There are plenty of other well deserving members of that title on these boards, but they either don't post enough or haven't been around long enough to be recognized.

As someone else said, I'm not about to turn this place into Experts Exchange.  I suggest if you have an issue like that, post it in freelancing or go to rentacoder.

[quote author=ober link=topic=111985.msg454347#msg454347 date=1161264886]
I like that quite a bit more myself.
[/quote]

honestly, you'll probably get more people willing to take on the project, too. we have enough people who want to help out the community that if you posted you were putting money towards the site with the completion of your project, there would be people ready to jump on board.

well it was just an Idea but I guess the way obsidian describes it is the easiest and simplest way.
Why didn't I think about that myself

I am sorry to started this discussion.

me hits myself
hmm I am realy stupid I guess.

I think someone mentioned a donate button in all the threads but I don't see it.

I only know the link in the left navigation menu

anatak

The donation button existed in the old boards.  We haven't added it back in to SMF.  I guess I should work on that.

And don't be sorry for starting the discussion.  It's not a horrible idea, there are just things we would like to try and avoid.

[quote author=ober link=topic=111985.msg454432#msg454432 date=1161270149]
And don't be sorry for starting the discussion.  It's not a horrible idea, there are just things we would like to try and avoid.
[/quote]

that's exactly the point of this forum, too ;)

as ober said, please don't feel sorry for starting the discussion. i can almost guarantee you that on most sites, for every suggestion that is implemented, there are 20 more that are shot down :P

Not that I can speak for the mods/admins, but none of us are here to make money... we just want to lend a helping hand.  That being said, we'd all like to see phpfreaks.com have enough funds to stay up & running, since nothing is every free.  But I don't think "paid support" is the right approach.  Why don't we compromise -- we'll keep helping everyone out of the kindness of our hearts, and you simply donate money to the site?  They don't have to happen simultaneously.

Pssh... I'm here for the money.  Admins make $32.75/hr + bonuses and benefits.  And we're given flying pigs for transportation to and from work.  Booya.

;)

EDIT: On a side note, there has been some new code added to the site that states that if you don't donate within the next 3.5 days, your account will be terminated and we'll request back-pay for the bandwidth you've eaten up on this site.  And you probably also missed the fact in the TOS that said we constantly download and upload large files in the background while you surf the forums.  So... that's gonna be a hefty bill.

EDIT2: Can anyone else tell I'm on a sugar high?

[quote author=ober link=topic=111985.msg454518#msg454518 date=1161277697]
Pssh... I'm here for the money.  Admins make $32.75/hr + bonuses and benefits.  And we're given flying pigs for transportation to and from work.  Booya.

;)

EDIT: On a side note, there has been some new code added to the site that states that if you don't donate within the next 3.5 days, your account will be terminated and we'll request back-pay for the bandwidth you've eaten up on this site.  And you probably also missed the fact in the TOS that said we constantly download and upload large files in the background while you surf the forums.  So... that's gonna be a hefty bill.

EDIT2: Can anyone else tell I'm on a sugar high?
[/quote]

sugar high my ass, sounds like you drank a 24 pack of Red Bull!

hey ober - as of now, i find myself looking for a donate link in order to shoot some paypal funds over to "phpfreaks," (ie. eric, the one-man hosting machine) and can't find one without seeking out that donation thread.  on that topic, perhaps we can add a donation link to those three that appear next to one's avatar?  right beneath where you guys added the "return to main page" link.  i guess if they have their profile info minimized they won't see it, but it's on by default right?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.