How about changing the forum structure ?

Hello,

I only recently registered to this forum and posted a few help messages while I was there.

And really quickly it became clear to me that there is such a mix of everything in this forum that it becomes less efficient.

How about partitioning the PHP Coding Help in at least three levels :

- basic (for all the simple stuff like "I forgot to set my variable", "how do I if/then/else" and "I can't connect to MySQL)

- medium (bit more advanced, but no basic debugging)

- advanced ("how do I go around this function's limitations","why is my utf8 strlen failing?", etc.)

In that way I believe the following will happen :

1. There will be much more correlation (i.e. the next noob that comes in with "a why is my variable undefined ?" will most certainly find another topic saying exactly the same thing

2. More local stickies (i.e. "variable undefined : how to")

3. Better use of resources (I honestly don't want to post "RTFM" or "OMG" in every basic question post, however I'd be really happy to help people with what I consider "real" problems (i.e. those you can't fix with 5 minutes of googling)

4. Less clutter, more readability (yeah you know, that request I helped on yesterday which is now on page 7 of the forum -- )

Speaking about stickies, cross-linking problems would be a good idea (or making clear stickies summarizing the most frequent problems) --

Just my 2 cents as always, but I think this change is both easy and useful for you guys ;)

We had the boards partitioned in a similar fashion a while ago (long while ago actually). The problem is that newbies assume every simple issue is complex, and there wasn't much activity in the advanced section.

Keeping it all together means less moderation and more traffic in the one place.

I did expect that answer and explanation tbh, but I think this is more an issue of rules & respect (i.e. if you post in the wrong forum because you don't read the rules (oops did I just say that) -> warning + move, second time delete) and that kind of stuff -

Quite honestly I won't be around for long anyway but this drags the forum towards more traffic and less advanced subjects -> less advanced audience -> ...

Not my forum but hey, thought I'd just share this ;)

I don't know about you, but if I were to run a forum, I would like to see lots of activity on it regardless of how advanced the questions asked are. It beats the hell out of a forum with five active users a month asking maybe 1 or 2 advanced questions every 3 months or so. Talking about activity, not so long ago we had to switch servers due to the load the forum generates while your "advanced" forum can be easily run on a Commodore 64.

Don't hate! Participate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.