Add to MySQL dropdown list on the fly

MargateSteve

I have searched for a solution to this but as I am not quite sure what I am searching for (as the title may prove) I have had no joy. The term I have used is the way it is described in PHPMaker.

What I am looking to do, is allow a user to select an option, via a drop down menu populated from a MySQL table, but if the option is not there, they can then add the option without having to refresh the page.

As a rough example, if I had a dropdown that allowed users to select their country, the database table may have

id country

1England

2Scotland

3Wales

If a user was from Ireland, I would like them to click on an 'Add Country' button, fill in a form on the same page, and on submitting, the option would be added to the table and appear in the dropdown.

If anyone can explain what term I need to search for, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.