'Hackers' - lol

phpSensei

Why is that everytime some idiot overloads a website's server with traffic he is considered a hacker? The media honestly thinks that we have softwares to just walk in the front door and take all the information we want. I laugh hard when i hear about HACKERS 15 year olds claiming themselves God amongst the underground community for "High Profile Attacks". They "attack" or "hack" websites and then threaten to release user information.... Recently on the news some kids called the LulzSec apparently hacked into CIA, and other websites.

I remember back in the day we use to take down 2-3 forums because of week security points, but mainly from just creating a phishing site and luring the moderators in. It was that simple,

There's no such thing as a software to "hack" into anything.

I can send over thousands of junk mails at once from a simple PHP loop, and yet Hotmail still hasn't patched it. Just try it, you'll see what I mean.

I think the word "Hacker" is over rated & exaggerated...

The term is misunderstood by the media. I consider people like Linus Torvalds,  Guido Van Rossum and Larry Wall to be true hackers, not these script kiddies the media harps on about.

The term is misunderstood by the media. I consider people like Linus Torvalds,  Guido Van Rossum and Larry Wall to be true hackers, not these script kiddies the media harps on about.

Guido van Rossum is the main man. Only because he is the author of my favorite computer language, I heard he works for Google, so maybe.. just maybe... we can shake hands.

But Yes, script kiddies is what I would call them too, its actually funny I have met a few of these "bad asses", and they are no more advanced then some of our beginners in the php help section.

edit: Damn it though, Google has everything.

The term is misunderstood by the media.

OMG they hacked me! Who'd ever have guessed a password be 'password'!? I can't believe those little twerps.

^^ I hear that way too often and just shake my head.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

Man speaks truth.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.