New forum software

doddsey_65

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello again. I know I have been gone for a while but I would like to show you all the new version of the forum. I have kept the old website (and repository) online as a backup and the new site can be found at http://162.243.173.39 (No proper URL yet).

It uses NodeJS and Socket.IO to provide a real time experience. As you navigate around (some pages are still missing compared to the PHP version) you will notice there are no page refreshes. This was an important thing for me especially when creating a real time application.

When you visit the site you are automatically subscribed to certain events (only 2 so far). These are new topics, and user logins. When a user logs in their name will appear in the online user list automatically. If you happen to be viewing a forum and someone makes a new topic, the topic will also pop in automatically.

A new feature I have introduced is the way that new topics and posts are created. When you click the "new topic" button you don't get the usual modal popup. Instead you are taken to a page that resembles the topic. Simply click on the default name and default post body to change it and then click save. I feel this little feature will help with the flow of the site so let me know your thoughts.

It is still quite basic and you can't do a lot besides create topics and posts (and login/register) but the core framework is shaping up nicely.

I have a lot of new ideas which implement the real time aspect. For example when I implement a friend/follower system. When you login your friends will receive a popup to say that you have logged in, or when you create a new post they will get an instant popup. Or when you mention someone in a post (yup they will get a popup!). These options will of course be configurable for the specific user.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I scrolled through this thread pretty quickly so perhaps I overlooked something. 

If I did not, I cannot believe no one asked the obvious question:

Why?

Why, for whatever you value most, would you want to create a forum application? It has been done to death. Yes, it is fairly easy, yes it has been done before with success, even by latecomers. But as learning experience you've already gotten the best out of it, and probably did so before you even posted on this forum. You're not going to learn anything substantial by having some random dude post XSS vulnerabilities on some app that'll never take off. Codewise, all I need to see are some tiny signs in your code to know that you are way behind in the herd. Seriously, your code includes a statement "or die("whatever")". This was not acceptable 10 years ago, now it's nothing less of a sign of incompetence. I'm sure some popular OSS apps still use it after all this time, all the more reason to stay the fuck away.

With the intention of providing some usable advice, I had a look at your profile and found a topic where you made a small effort to attack Symfony, but gave up because you couldn't figure it out. I get that. Symfony uses way too much magic. I like it for the clean code and unbeatable completeness, but hate it for its (intentional) tendency to rely on "conventions", ie "magic". I can't count the times the DI config of a bundle wasn't picked up because the naming of a file/class was off slightly. I've since mastered the beast, but I can't fault you for hating on it.  Still, Symfony2 is currently the best framework for PHP, once you accept it's an ugly bitch, the bitch will work her ass off for you.

But you'd be smart not to commit to any infrastructure layer, be it from Sensio or from your own hand. This post may be of use to you: http://blog.kleijnweb.nl/3-layer-directed-graph-dependency-model-part-1/

To the point, you may want to abandon this hobby project to start fresh for the purposes of learning, and think of something more original. I would apologize for being blunt if I did not believe I'm doing you a favor.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

'This project is now being re-written for Socket.IO and NODE.js support'

LOL..

Good luck trying to make something better than this: https://nodebb.org/

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, enhance it and become a part of a community and help development.

You can start by creating a new skin for nodebb's shitty default style.. :)

Edited by Monkuar

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, enhance it and become a part of a community and help development.

I don't see anything wrong with making your own.

If there was just one of everything the world would be pretty boring.

A lot of projects die and end up doing a lot of work for nothing.

I don't see anything wrong with making your own.

If there was just one of everything the world would be pretty boring.

A lot of projects die and end up doing a lot of work for nothing.

Read 

448191's response though.

Why? Forum software has been done to death. Come up with something new already.

For example, Websocket Forum Software, Flash based Forum Software, a Forum software written in c++ or be used an application with notifications/etc.. Those are the inventious ideas, not this simple, silly, "ASP/PHP" forum crap. It must be unique and intuitive for it to be successful.

Edited by Monkuar

topic locked.

when the OP completely rewrote/changed the architecture in the jan 2014 post, he should have started a new thread and the coding was substantially changed again in mar 2014, resulting in a completely different test site, which again should have been a new thread.

if the OP returns to this thread (he's not been active here since mar 2014), please start a new thread with your current version and current url, along with a current .txt file at that url with a link in it to your phpfreaks profile.