preg_match / preg_replace kind of job

rem

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a plugin for my personal CMS. I need this to recognize any tags like [language:en] text here [/language:en] so I can have several languages (separated by this) within the same post. I managed to make it recognize the tags using regex but can't output within a variable or an array the actual language(s) (en, es, fr, or whatever) ...

This is my code:

[code]
<?php
$text = '
[language:en]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam

[/language:en]';

$rx = '/\[language:([a-z]{2})\]|\[\/language:([a-z]{2})\]/';
$text2 = preg_replace($rx, '', $text);

echo $text2;
?>
[/code]

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

I have mysql entries as posts. I want to make possible having within the same posts, multiple languages separated by [language:po][/language:po] tags. When  (for example) es or fr or en language link is clicked, only that specific text, from between the specific language tags to be displayed.

ex: index.php?pg=my_page.php&lang=en - > when lang=en, need to extract only the [language:en] this is my english text [/language:en] tags from the "my_page.php" post. Any ideas?

Thank you

try this:
[code]
<?php
$pattern = '|\[language:([a-z]{2})\](.+?)\[/language:$1\]|i';
preg_match_all($pattern, $String, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER);
for ($i = 0; $i < count($matches); $i++) {
  echo "<p>Language: " . $matches[$i][1] . "<br />\n";
  echo "Text:<br />" . $matches[$i][2] . "</p>\n";
}
?>
[/code]

preg_match_all() really is going to be the only way to pull all the submatches you're after. then, you can use the results to parse as you see fit.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112039.msg454558#msg454558 date=1161282331]
try this:
[code]
<?php
$pattern = '|\[language:([a-z]{2})\](.+?)\[/language:$1\]|i';
preg_match_all($pattern, $String, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER);
for ($i = 0; $i < count($matches); $i++) {
}
?>
[/code]

preg_match_all() really is going to be the only way to pull all the submatches you're after. then, you can use the results to parse as you see fit.
[/quote]

Thank you, that's a wonderful idea... even though, I guess something's wrong with the pattern, cause I don't have any results. If I replace your pattern with mine, the language gets extracted but not the text, and also, each is displayed twice... So kinda messed up. I know my pattern is not quite great, cause my regex skills are pretty sucky :)

I used obsidian's example (thank you) and played a bit with the pattern but didn't went to far, and few hours later, here I am , giving up... :( Can you help please? My code looks like this now:

[code]<?php
$string = '[language:en] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam [/language:en]<br />
[language:es] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam [/language:es]<br />
[language:fr] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam [/language:fr]<br />';

$pattern = '/\[language:([a-z]{2})\]|\[\/language:$1\]/';
preg_match_all($pattern, $string, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER);
for ($i = 0; $i < count($matches); $i++)
{
}
?>[/code]

and all I managed to get from it is:

Language: en
Text:

Language: es
Text:

Language: fr
Text:

(the actual text, obviously isn't displayed)

Thanks a lot!

[quote author=Jenk link=topic=112039.msg454711#msg454711 date=1161299792]
Why not use XML?
[/quote]
Not quite sure, how... would that be more helpful than PHP? I think I'd rather stick with what I already got. If I'll manage to solve the regex mistery somehow, it would probably work too :)

[quote author=effigy link=topic=112039.msg454718#msg454718 date=1161300857]
[code]$pattern = '/\[language:([a-z]{2})\](.+?)\[\/language:\1\]/';[/code]
[/quote]

WOW!!!
Thanks a mil obsidian and effigy, you guys really ROCK! My stuff is working now!! WOW, that's so sweeet :)

[quote author=Jenk link=topic=112039.msg454721#msg454721 date=1161301880]
I meant use XML to store the data.
[/quote]

Oh, yes, that's a pretty good idea, but I'm already using MySQL to hold my posts and the above seemd to be the easier solution to deal with it... Thank you.

[quote author=Jenk link=topic=112039.msg454834#msg454834 date=1161334120]
If you are using MySQL.. why don't you separate into different columns, instead of [language:en]blah?!

[/quote]

I thought about that but users will have to choose their language from a dropdown, then insert a new post for each language and I want to keep it simple within the same post, everything in the same editor window. This is an ideea I got from the Polyglot WordPress plugin and I found it to be very practicable. I'm developing this for people who needs their websites content translated into multiple languages and besides that, I think it's pretty neat, eh? :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.