Firefox 6

crmamx

Firefox 6 is being promoted as

Firefox 6 does include some nice new tools for web developers. Scratchpad is a new JavaScript editor that’s well worth checking out, and the Web Console panel has also been improved.

But I downloaded Firefox 5 and the add ons I was using with 4 (don't remember which ones)would not work. So I had to go back to 4.

I downloaded FF6 yesterday. My avast web rating add on stopped working as did my firebug add on and a couple of others. Straight away I went to the firebug website and there was already an option to download a firebug that works with FF6. This latest update hasn't really hindered me in any way. The avast add on still doesn't work but when I updated to FF5 from 4 it took about a week to keep up to date so I'm not too fussed.

I am not sure but I believe it was Lightshot and Firebug that would not work with 5.0. Seems like they would have made sure those two important developer tools worked before they released a new version. I am certainly not a developer or close to it but I do maintain our Club site and use both frequently.

I downloaded FF6 yesterday. My avast web rating add on stopped working as did my firebug add on and a couple of others. Straight away I went to the firebug website and there was already an option to download a firebug that works with FF6. This latest update hasn't really hindered me in any way. The avast add on still doesn't work but when I updated to FF5 from 4 it took about a week to keep up to date so I'm not too fussed.

Thanks. I will try 5 again but am not going to mess with 6 for a while.

I don't believe I'm going to upgrade to 6.

Mozilla's aim here is to catch up with the current browser version numbers, so as to blend in better somehow.

It won't be long and Firefox 7 will be out, then 8,9 & 10.  They might even go as far as 11.

I think I'll just upgrade to the even numbered ones.  :D

Mozilla's aim here is to catch up with the current browser version numbers, so as to blend in better somehow.

It won't be long and Firefox 7 will be out, then 8,9 & 10.  They might even go as far as 11.

I'm just going to upgrade to the numbers that are only divisible by themselves.

So.. none of them?

So.. none of them?

Dumb ass me as usual. I left out the word evenly...evenly divisible by themselves....1,3,5,7,11...ect. Are they called prime numbers?

So.. none of them?

Dumb ass me as usual. I left out the word evenly...evenly divisible by themselves....1,3,5,7,11...ect. Are they called prime numbers?

No, you used the word correctly. You forgot to say "..and 1" :P, all natural numbers have a divisor of 1. Prime numbers have only themselves and 1 as divisors.

So.. none of them?

No, you used the word correctly. You forgot to say "..and 1" :P, all natural numbers have a divisor of 1. Prime numbers have only themselves and 1 as divisors.

Can I use 58 years since I graduated from high school as an excuse?... :shrug:

Because Mozilla now bundles virtually all security patches with each version upgrade, users stuck on Firefox 4 are now running a browser vulnerable to 20 different bugs.

Just ran across this. Damn, guess I had better change my mind and at least go to 5.

Alternatively, you could use the best web browser Chrome, and not have to worry about tedious updating because it happens in the background without you even knowing. You get updates and bug fixes without ever having to do anything. And more importantly, for us web developers, it means 99%+ of users are always using the newest version just weeks after it comes out.

Alternatively, you could use the best web browser Chrome, and not have to worry about tedious updating because it happens in the background without you even knowing. You get updates and bug fixes without ever having to do anything. And more importantly, for us web developers, it means 99%+ of users are always using the newest version just weeks after it comes out.

Never looked at it but I will take your advice. I was using IE when I first started. One of the admin's here was answering one of my first questions and found that out and I got an earful... :'( He mentioned Firefox and cssfreakie, who is a good friend, agreed so I could use Firebug. At that point I did not even know what CSS was. I have been using it every since.

Well as a developer, the problem isn't just about having the latest browser/patch, but the addons actually working for it.  And as a web developer, you aren't just working in a single browser (or browser version), so you don't get the option to pick the "always up-to-date" Chrome option and give everybody else the finger.  I need to make sure stuff works in FF, even if Chrome is my browser of choice, you know?  And therefore I heavily depend on a handful of Addons to work with it, as it makes my job 1000 times easier, arguably possible at all.

Well as a developer, the problem isn't just about having the latest browser/patch, but the addons actually working for it.  And as a web developer, you aren't just working in a single browser (or browser version), so you don't get the option to pick the "always up-to-date" Chrome option and give everybody else the finger.  I need to make sure stuff works in FF, even if Chrome is my browser of choice, you know?  And therefore I heavily depend on a handful of Addons to work with it, as it makes my job 1000 times easier, arguably possible at all.

I don't disagree with you, your opinion just covers more than mine did.

In my limited statement I was only advocating Chrome for a general purpose browser. I was saying that the updating mechanism is useful to both users and developers, but for two different reasons: For users, they get updates, bug fixes, etc.. without having to do anything. For developers, the users are always using the most up to date version of the software.

As a developer making a living at it I completely understand your point. I wish I had come around during your generation because the PC is something else. I spent my career with Cobol and mainframes. But as a novice with only one hobby web site that has 32 members, and after I have busted my ass for hundreds of hours developing the site, if they are too lazy to update from IE6 after I have told them, then I have the luxury of just giving them the finger.

I was using IE when I first started. One of the admin's here was answering one of my first questions and found that out and I got an earful... :'( He mentioned Firefox and cssfreakie, who is a good friend, agreed so I could use Firebug. At that point I did not even know what CSS was. I have been using it every since.

I updated immediately to FF6 because in IE 5, some addons didn't work like YSlow. That said when developing I use a mixture of browsers. I develop in FF than check in each version of IE (6,7,8,9), than run it through opera safari and last but not least Chrome.

I just like editing css more in firebug (or Opera) than the tools IE and Chrome give (inspector). On the other hand I like the networking tool of Chrome more. Anyway in the end your website should just be valid and work properly across browsers, that is what the clients pays for. Although I must say I wont give an alternative for most css3 things like border-radius and box-shadow unless the client is happy paying for the extra time involved adding those good old sliding doors :)

I was using IE when I first started. One of the admin's here was answering one of my first questions and found that out and I got an earful... :'( He mentioned Firefox and cssfreakie, who is a good friend, agreed so I could use Firebug. At that point I did not even know what CSS was. I have been using it every since.

I updated immediately to FF6 because in IE 5, some addons didn't work like YSlow. That said when developing I use a mixture of browsers. I develop in FF than check in each version of IE (6,7,8,9), than run it through opera safari and last but not least Chrome.

I just like editing css more in firebug (or Opera) than the tools IE and Chrome give (inspector). On the other hand I like the networking tool of Chrome more. Anyway in the end your website should just be valid and work properly across browsers, that is what the clients pays for. Although I must say I wont give an alternative for most css3 things like border-radius and box-shadow unless the client is happy paying for the extra time involved adding those good old sliding doors :)

Yea, but you are different....whatever that means.... :wtf:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.