Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

black.horizons

show mysql data under months?

Hi,

I'm writing a news cms package, and i'm wondering if theres a way I can get the articles to appear under the month they were written.

I don't want to hard code the months though, as this system will hold "archives" of the news items for maybe 2 or 3 years.

Basically like this:

October
  Article 10
  Article 9
September
  Article 8
August
  Article 7
  Article 6

October
  Article 5
  Article 4
September
  Article 3
August
  Article 2
  Article 1

Every month will have at least one article, possibly getting up to as many as 15 articles a month, but I want to display the articles in a list like that [i can link to their own "page" - really a call to another mysql script to pull and format the news accordingly].

This is the only bit im struggling with, and so far i've got the date stored as a date field in the MySQL database, but changing it to a timestamp field will only involve changing around 5 lines of code at most.

TIA, Alex

Get the [b]month[/b], [b]year[/b] using DATE_FORMAT, ORDER BY the DATE_FORMAT [b]year[/b] DESC and then MONTH(date_column) DESC! Then in your result loop, create (2) test variables to hold (current_month, current_year), then when looping only change those (2) variables when they don't match the current result variables!

A simple example... (I don't know what you table has, but you should be able to follow this!

[code]$result = mysql_query ( "SELECT DATE_FORMAT(date_column, '%M') AS month, DATE_FORMAT(date_column, '%Y') AS year, other_fileds FROM my_table WHERE date_column >= '2005-01-01' AND date_column <= '2006-10-15' ORDER BY date_column DESC" );

if ( mysql_num_rows ( $result ) > 0 )
{
$c_month = '';
$c_year  = '';

echo "<pre>\r\n";

while ( $row = mysql_ftech_assoc ( $result ) )
{

if ( $row['year'] != $c_year )
{
echo "<h3>" . $row['year'] . "</h3>\r\n";

$c_year = $row['year'];
}

if ( $row['month'] != $c_month )
{
echo "\t<h4>" . $row['month'] . "</h4>\r\n";

$c_month = $row['month'];
}

echo "\t\t" . $row['title'] . "\r\n";
}
}[/code]

// legend

where it says [b]my_table[/b]

[b]my_table[/b] = you would change that to your database table name

where it says [b]date_column[/b]

[b]date_column[/b] = change that to your date column name

where it says [b], other_fileds[/b]

[b], other_fileds[/b] = you would add the other fields you want the result array to return

where it says [b]$row['title'][/b]

[b]$row['title'][/b] = you would change that to the name of your column that holds the article time -> $row['article_title_column_name']

//EDIT

I changed the ORDER BY, just ORDER BY date_column, is really all you need!

me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.