What's everyone been up to in the world of Programming?

phpSensei

Hey Guys, just another thread another day..

Whats everyone been up to lately? What projects are you working on? What are your plans...

I am building a movie software...its my main project and nothing else so far.

im designing/programming a networking website.. no clientele as of now..

I'm working on a bunch of stuff at the moment:

At work:

We are in the early stages of moving our servers (some 1300+) from freeBSD to GNU/Linux. So, yeah, working on a very customised Funtoo fork including an install CD (which currently Funtoo/Gentoo doesn't have).

Development wise Iv'e been spending most of my time rewriting / upgrading large portions of our framework including our DAL and have also been implimenting some cool stuff on the front end using Backbone.js and Mootools (I'd rather be using jQuery, but whatever).

Personal Stuff:

I've been very slowly developing a site for lovers of experimental electronic music (one of my other hobbies) using Rails, Node.js and Backbone.js. I've been plugging away at this site for about the last 8 months, I'm still not sure I'll ever be happy enough with it to actually launch the thing.

I'm just starting to get some traction pushing packages to Funtoo/Gentoo.

And yeah, still (when I get time) playing around with my own PHP MVC, though I havent made a commit in about a month.

I've been very slowly developing a site for lovers of experimental electronic music (one of my other hobbies) using Rails, Node.js and Backbone.js. I've been plugging away at this site for about the last 8 months, I'm still not sure I'll ever be happy enough with it to actually launch the thing.

That's an awesome idea man :D like a social/collaberation site?

Just basically PHP Sockets, very experimental (the functions could change) but it's allot of fun.

Want to try and build up (providing PHP has the capability of acting as the server, you need a quick actioning piece of software to run a TCP networked game!) a Flash multiplayer network game, I doubt my connection speed on my broadband would allow for this but we will see, I just want to keep dabbling with really TCP sockets but want to go into other protocols too like UDP (used for video streaming since it's actually technically connectionless, i.e. there's no error checking like TCP has, great for video/audio streaming).

Got a basic chat client working though from Linux to Linux but I have tried Windows (client) to Linux (server) and it appears not only to treat each time you hit a key which it sends through to the server but also breaks out what you have put for each character as a new line, I think that's because of me not actually using socket_stream() (least I think its that function) at all lol.

I will but try, need to start learning how to do this in Flash, I don't like using existing servers or software for things like this, I like to delve right in at the deep end and carry on with what I was doing at University (network multimedia based role playing games lol).

Sorry UDP is not connectionless, I meant it's stateless, so a video stream for example would only output at that time, you just pick up that datastream when you want to, won't do any error checking hence the sometimes pixelation of such a video or audio stream (muffled audio) in the data transmission across the web.

TCP would really hammer such a connection where this would always be waiting for retransmission of corrupted packets), Youtube will only use TCP since Flash can not use anything other than TCP!

You should take a look at Nanoweb. It's a http server written in php.

I used to use it to run a few sites a few years back, looking at there site however, it doesn't look like it's been updated since.

Ahh cool I will but really what I am trying to do is do stuff like that myself, just out of pure interest.

Always thought the TCP server that the tutor did was quite cool when I was at University, sadly I lost it somehow during a drive failure and my old DVD breaking not sure entirely what happened to it, so either going to try and go for an older version of the backup util I used and use the same version it was created in, failing that try and rescue it, lost allot of work from doing that, but in a sense that's a good thing in some ways.

Makes me want to try and do it myself, I like turning a bad situation into a good one lol.

Yeah, I got right into the same thing a few years back when I first found Nanoweb.

If you dig around there site they have a socket framework that is pretty interesting to take a look at, but yeah, i completely understand your drive to DIY.

Have fun!

Yeah, I got right into the same thing a few years back when I first found Nanoweb.

If you dig around there site they have a socket framework that is pretty interesting to take a look at, but yeah, i completely understand your drive to DIY.

Have fun!

The part I am most excited about though is the possibility (whether or not PHP can actually do this, in theory it should be able to as it's just data that's been sent around on a network, or not) is the possibility of using say a service part of PHP to make a continuously running service that would allow 2 players on a flash game to play each other over a network.

Got one service working once and fancied tying the 2 together and also making a game that would allow people to play each other, one of the (if not the) biggest project I have ever wanted to do.

spent the last 9 months working on my own PHP MVC framework. Finally finished version 1 today, so damn happy.

Now I'm going to start writing my own 'simple' forum for my business, and then begin the rewrites of my text games.

That is very cool!

spent the last 9 months working on my own PHP MVC framework. Finally finished version 1 today, so damn happy.

What's your framework? Got some source on github? :)

I've been too busy trying to design my site to code it, still not happy. That's my personal portfolio site. On another front I'm doing an Anime based website, which is kinda done but now I'm rewriting some things and overhauling a lot of it. I'm a terrible client.

The part I am most excited about though is the possibility (whether or not PHP can actually do this, in theory it should be able to as it's just data that's been sent around on a network, or not) is the possibility of using say a service part of PHP to make a continuously running service that would allow 2 players on a flash game to play each other over a network.

Got one service working once and fancied tying the 2 together and also making a game that would allow people to play each other, one of the (if not the) biggest project I have ever wanted to do.

It's definitely doable. I've actually done that exact thing: PHP socket server and a flash client. The game I created wasn't particularly network heavy, fairly light actually, but I learned the hard way that PHP definitely isn't what you want to use for this kind of thing. I'm not sure on how many players you intend on having, but I was seeing a big performance drop as low as 8 players, and I'm sure the network wasn't the bottleneck. I didn't do much research to find specifically what was the issue in PHP (I just assumed it was something slow in the way they handled something in the socket functions), but I ended up just rewriting the server in C++. That fixed all the performance issues.

It was still fun to experiment with sockets in PHP. Good luck with your project.

What's your framework? Got some source on github? :)

I've called it ShadowFrame, named after my dog Shadow :) . Unfortunately it's not on github, keeping it Crikey Games exclusive ;) Got to hit my competitors with something. :P

I've been too busy trying to design my site to code it, still not happy. That's my personal portfolio site. On another front I'm doing an Anime based website, which is kinda done but now I'm rewriting some things and overhauling a lot of it. I'm a terrible client.

I feel your pain, that's the reason I decided to make my own framework in the first place. Sure I could of used an open source one like CodeIgniter for example, but I decided to make my own to better my understanding of programming patterns, concepts and to develop my PHP skills further.

The alternative of course was to continue trying to 'fix' and mend my existing websites which I've had around since 06,07,08 onwards. But since the end of the cash flow in 08 I've been running my funds dry trying to fix websites/games that quite frankly, did need to be recoded from scratch.

However I wouldn't have it any other way, I have learnt so much during my years of attempting to repair a sinking ship, so to speak. Now that I have completed my framework I can finally rewrite my games, and I'm positive they won't experience the problems that they had for all those years.

At the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy, and the feeling of success is well worth the pain :)

@MasterACE14: I went through a stage where I'd try to code everything myself. While you learn a tonne of things and the inner workings of applications and what not, it's far easier to be a part of a community driven framework. I hang with to framworks, FuelPHP and Laravel, but currently am not contributing much.

On another note I think it's great when I see a company using an internally developed framework or some piece of software. Hope it goes well for you! :D

it's far easier to be a part of a community driven framework. I hang with to framworks, FuelPHP and Laravel, but currently am not contributing much.

On another note I think it's great when I see a company using an internally developed framework or some piece of software. Hope it goes well for you! :D

Yeah and I guess one of the biggest advantages of using an existing framework is you can be sure majority, if not all the bases have been covered.

Hopefully it's exactly what I've needed :) Thanks!

@MasterACE14: I went through a stage where I'd try to code everything myself. While you learn a tonne of things and the inner workings of applications and what not, it's far easier to be a part of a community driven framework. I hang with to framworks, FuelPHP and Laravel, but currently am not contributing much.

Honestly I am the same way as MasterACE14, for me using frameworks takes away some of the fundementals of programming, some might disagree because you need a good base to actually even code object oriented, however theres alot of different methods which a programmer might not understand and use it just cause "FuelPHP" or other frameworks use it.

Using an existing one just speeds up development time..

Things like building your own forum software and such is a big waste of time tho.

Don't take it from me, I want to build an Operating System lmao, might sound crazy but I am just one of those guys... but hey its obviously not from scratch and takes multiple years, this is personally and not something I am doing to compete though.

you need a good base to actually even code object oriented

You can write perfect OO from scratch, you don't need anything.

Things like building your own forum software and such is a big waste of time tho.

I don't think so, I have yet to meet a properly written forum.

Don't take it from me, I want to build an Operating System lmao, might sound crazy but I am just one of those guys...

That's not crazy at all, a few old classmates wrote one in Java as a final project in college.

Don't take it from me, I want to build an Operating System lmao, might sound crazy but I am just one of those guys...

That's not crazy at all, a few old classmates wrote one in Java as a final project in college.

that sounds fun and daunting at the same time Lol.

you need a good base to actually even code object oriented

You can write perfect OO from scratch, you don't need anything.

I don't think so, I have yet to meet a properly written forum.

What i men was the concept of OOP design patterns, understanding OOP vs Procedural, its not a battle between the two, but OOP is a whole new level of thinking that often some don't grasp for awhile. Look at alot of tutorials online regardng OOP in PHP, its horrible, its like procedural coding wrapped in a class name.

Also in regards to not properly written forums, thats a big statement to make, explain a litte more..

Sounds awsome, I don't know Java otherwise it would be awsome to look over the source code if they had it somewhere.

It's definitely doable. I've actually done that exact thing: PHP socket server and a flash client. The game I created wasn't particularly network heavy, fairly light actually, but I learned the hard way that PHP definitely isn't what you want to use for this kind of thing. I'm not sure on how many players you intend on having, but I was seeing a big performance drop as low as 8 players, and I'm sure the network wasn't the bottleneck. I didn't do much research to find specifically what was the issue in PHP (I just assumed it was something slow in the way they handled something in the socket functions), but I ended up just rewriting the server in C++. That fixed all the performance issues.

It was still fun to experiment with sockets in PHP. Good luck with your project.

That is exactly what I want to play with lol, see at which point it breaks lol, or becomes slow rather.

For the start off just 2 players though, keeping it as simple as possible, got a single player shoot 'em up that I fancied just making into a multiplayer game, I mean I am not sure what I want to progress it to just yet for the eventual bottleneck issue, but I had a strong feeling someone would tell me PHP isn't best suited for a vast amount of users, but will be interesting to see when under certain conditions when it should slow down etc.

As I said I want to then progress this to another programming language, kind of been thinking of C# but I really want to do this in C++ (traditional me, making things as complex as possible lol), well taking an idea that is and just seeing how far I can push something or what I can do and learn from.

It's the reason why I do actually really enjoy programming/scripting in PHP, but have a real interest in C and C++, even done a very small amount of assembly too, when you start doing assembly (though I have only done a simple hello world application output), you learn what C++ C and the like do for you as it where.

It's really quite interesting lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.