guestbooks & forms

I`ve just designed a web site and i´ve made a guestbook at the end (all with dreamweaver, but not coding). The problem is now i dont know what the procedure is for making the guestbook work. Do i need to upload it and then it will work. From researching, I think i need sql but dont really know what it is. I really wanted to use my own guestbook...dont make me have to get a free one already made up...

I`ve just designed a web site and i´ve made a guestbook at the end  (all with dreamweaver, but not coding). The problem is now i dont know what the procedure is for making the guestbook work.  Do i need to upload it and then it will work. From researching, I think i need sql but dont really know what it is. I really wanted to use my own guestbook...dont make me have to get a free one already made up...

267118[/snapback]

well, with most guestbooks, you do need some version of SQL on your server. this is simply the database that you are going to store all your entries in to format and display them. as for the coding, you can do the entire guestbook separate from the SQL, but you'll have to create a database to store your results in to be able to display them.

well, with most guestbooks, you do need some version of SQL on your server. this is simply the database that you are going to store all your entries in to format and display them. as for the coding, you can do the entire guestbook separate from the SQL, but you'll have to create a database to store your results in to be able to display them.

267125[/snapback]

267125[/snapback]

Thanks for the explaination...So can i create that database in Dreamweaver first, and then upload my site, because i saw sql instructions on my web hosts site, and maybe i could figure it out from there? It can´t be too difficult, can it?

Thanks for the explaination...So can i create that database in Dreamweaver first, and then upload my site, because i saw sql instructions on my web hosts site, and maybe i could figure it out from there? It can´t be too difficult, can it?

267151[/snapback]

dreamweaver doesn't support database design. it is only for the coding or design aspect of the site. you need to figure out what type of SQL is running on your server (ie, MySQL or PostgreSQL). most will offer either MySQL or both. once you have that set, most hosts will also have a very nice web interface to help you create and populate your tables. if you have specific questions about queries or such, let us know!

good luck

dreamweaver doesn't support database design. it is only for the coding or design aspect of the site. you need to figure out what type of SQL is running on your server (ie, MySQL or PostgreSQL). most will offer either MySQL or both. once you have that set, most hosts will also have a very nice web interface to help you create and populate your tables. if you have specific questions about queries or such, let us know!

good luck

267162[/snapback]

Thats great, I´m a little bit clearer on how to go about it now at least...I know the web host uses MySQL so I´ll try and work on it from there...thanks very much for the help...If I`still stupid, I`ll be back....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.