How do PHPbb developers manage?

phpSensei

Has anyone else noticed the huge mess in their coding ? Its mostly procedural coding, not really following any design pattern, do you guys think it would have been better for their development to have it programmed in OOP?

I don't know how the devs really manage the project under all that procedural line by line code.

Has anyone else noticed the huge mess in their coding ? Its mostly procedural coding, not really following any design pattern, do you guys think it would have been better for their development to have it programmed in OOP?

I don't know how the devs really manage the project under all that procedural line by line code.

phpBB has been around for so many years, and dates back to the early php4 days, possibly even as far back as php3 when php oop was pretty minimal and had weird gotchas.  Due to its popularity, it's been a frequent target of attacks, and i seem to recall that at one point phpf ran on it.

It will probably continue to stumble forward for years to come, purely due to its brand name and notoriety, but yeah.. the code is certainly not a thing of beauty.  With that said, often the code in opensource projects lacks consistency especially as years go by and the original people tire out and get replaced with others.  I think there are times when a project really just needs a reset.

phpBB4 is going to be a from scratch rewrite, there hasn't been much progress from what I'm aware of though.  There have been discussions about them making use of a framework, symfony comes up a lot and sometimes ZF.

area51 is their dev portal, their wiki has some basic info on phpBB4 as well.

phpBB4 is going to be a from scratch rewrite, there hasn't been much progress from what I'm aware of though.  There have been discussions about them making use of a framework, symfony comes up a lot and sometimes ZF.

area51 is their dev portal, their wiki has some basic info on phpBB4 as well.

They're about 3 years too late on that rewrite. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.