asp, in a linux server.

Ninjakreborn

Are there any stand alone processor's for asp that you can get, that actual process it like an asp processor.
See the host I use, they have a lot of programming langauges that they support.  This allows me to test, and learn some of the languages, I have been messing with it gives me a testing ground for
Perl, Python, Ruby / Ruby On Rails, and a few other's so I don't have to run around getting different server's to test those out on.  Right now though, I had to write up some program's in asp, and I basically had to program them blindly for someone, because he couldn't show me server info.  The thing is, I got them finished, got them working, but it would have been easier with a place to test it on.  If I can find a standalone asp processor, even if it only works in a specific directory on my server, then I can just test them out in the directory, and make sure they work before passing them along.

I don't want to totally change server's to asp, because it's just a testing ground, or learning area, it's not my primary langauge, I will always work in php, a lot more.

Umm... why wouldn't you create a local environment on your own PC?  There is no such thing as an ASP processor for a linux box.  At least not anything that you'd have access to on a commercial hosting environment.

[quote author=ober link=topic=112129.msg454992#msg454992 date=1161358382]
Umm... why wouldn't you create a local environment on your own PC?  There is no such thing as an ASP processor for a linux box.  At least not anything that you'd have access to on a commercial hosting environment.
[/quote]

right. if you've got a windows box, you can download the full version of [i]Visual Web Developer 2005 Express[/i] which comes with a local copy of SQL server. if you set it up on your PC, you'll be able to write and test all manner of ASP.NET pages.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=112129.msg456228#msg456228 date=1161602802]
A 'testing' environment should always be a local environment. 
[/quote]

not necessarily. i've got one of my sites where i have a partitioned drive on my host. one is development and one is production. in cases where you have scripts that you are unable to setup a local testing environment, it's handy to have a [i]testing[/i] server to post scripts on.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112129.msg456249#msg456249 date=1161607379]
[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=112129.msg456228#msg456228 date=1161602802]
A 'testing' environment should always be a local environment. 
[/quote]

not necessarily. i've got one of my sites where i have a partitioned drive on my host. one is development and one is production. in cases where you have scripts that you are unable to setup a local testing environment, it's handy to have a [i]testing[/i] server to post scripts on.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned, testing should never really be available to the public, but I guess it depends on what you are testing.  You run the risk of security leaks if you are not careful.  What type of scripts can you not run locally?  Doesn't make sense to me. As a developer you should be able to set up any type of local testing environment before putting something inot production.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=112129.msg456276#msg456276 date=1161610015]
As far as I'm concerned, testing should never really be available to the public[/quote]
There, we definitely agree. My testing environment is not accessible to the public, but is protected. I simply don't have it as a local machine, but rather a partition on my server.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=112129.msg456276#msg456276 date=1161610015]but I guess it depends on what you are testing.  You run the risk of security leaks if you are not careful.  What type of scripts can you not run locally?  Doesn't make sense to me. As a developer you should be able to set up any type of local testing environment before putting something inot production.[/quote]
Again, I don't agree about the necessity of it being local (in the sense of a machine you can lay your hands on). My biggest issue is not as much the lack of availability of simulating a local testing environment as the restrictions that would put on my development practices. I have 3 different locations I regularly develop from, and if I were to restrict myself to a local development server, I would severely restrict my flexibility in development. Also, when I'm working in conjunction with multiple developers from all over the country on some of my projects, it makes no sense for me to make all my scripts on my own local box when there is the opportunity to set up a shared development server for us all to work together on.

There are a number of reasons why a [i]local[/i] development environment can actually be detrimental to the development process, as I have stated. Now, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the statement that a developer must be able to set up a testing environment that is protected to work from , but I simply don't believe it needs to be a local box.

I normally develop from my website for a very basic, selfish reason.  My development PC is also my gaming PC.  I don't like to have all those services running and it's a pain in the tookus to shut them all down when I wanna game or start them when I have to work.

So I develop it all on my website or on the client's website.  I never put personal/confidential/client data on my own site, however, so I avoid any legal issues.

[quote author=ober link=topic=112129.msg456289#msg456289 date=1161610734]
I normally develop from my website for a very basic, selfish reason.  My development PC is also my gaming PC.  I don't like to have all those services running and it's a pain in the tookus to shut them all down when I wanna game or start them when I have to work.

So I develop it all on my website or on the client's website.  I never put personal/confidential/client data on my own site, however, so I avoid any legal issues.
[/quote]

Well, mine is too, but I don't think it makes a big impact.  What extra services do you have running?  IIS/Apache, php and mysql?  You can always set up a new profile with all services shut down for gaming.  I don't think these services have a big impact while idle. 

Well... mysql and apache would be the basic services.  And I guess I'm a freak about performance.  I have my OS tweaked to the max to get a few extra FPS out of it.  And I guess I probably would go the extra profile route if I was carrying more customers, but I don't actually get that much time to work with the stuff lately.  And besides, I also have a laptop that I work on stuff while I'm away on business.... so I guess you could consider that my secondary development machine... that has XAMPP running on it and I use that a fair amount.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.