7 replies to this topic

#1 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

I'm looking for new little icons for my site (arrows, boxes, pointers, etc).  I've done google image searches but I'm still not coming up with anything good.  Where do you guys get your stuff (that you don't make)?

Info: PHP Manual

#2 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

this is a good one for little icons and flags, more suited to toolbars, etc:
http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/

this one is particularly excellent - there are literally HUNDREDS in all sizes and formats as a single package:
http://kudesnick.blogspot.com/

as long as you don't mind giving credit somewhere in your site/app where you use them, I doubt you'll need to look elsewhere for icons.

cheers
Mark
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#3 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Mark :)

Info: PHP Manual

#4 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

no worries  ;) - took me ages to find them first time around, so i know how hard it is to find good icons that don't cost...

#5 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

very cool. all the icons i've used i've had friends draw up for me, so having a resource like that is very nice
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:58 AM

yeah i've always just drawn little icons myself. Maybe those linkies will save me some time in the future.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#7 neylitalo

neylitalo
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

You could always find something that's been GPL'd and use the icons from that. I'm not sure if you have to do something to maintain the GPLness of the thing, though.
http://nealylitalo.net - My personal website, and home of The Netizen's Journal.

#8 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

You could always find something that's been GPL'd and use the icons from that. I'm not sure if you have to do something to maintain the GPLness of the thing, though.

yeah that's a good move too. i used to do that a lot. the only problem though is that there tends to be a limited number of icons in the package, and they tend to be application specific - so when your own site/app needs something different, getting another icon that 'matches' in terms of its style, use of colours, etc, is quite tricky unless you can draw them yourself. however, if it's just for a case of a few icons like arrows/boxes/pointers like ober was after, using GPL'd stuff is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users