Billing / Transaction Handling

teynon

Ok, so I am kind of just looking for some experience on this one. I am building a billing / referral system that works on a hierarchy. Now the hierarchy is simple and straight forward. However, I am trying to figure out the easiest / least error prone way of handling the payments.

I have an IPN with paypal set up and working successfully. Here is how the system works:

User signs up and refers several users. Each user pays $8 a month (paypal subscription). The system pays $1 7 levels deep. So The payment scheme would look like this:

User 8 pays $1 to User 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and user 1. Then, the site keeps the remaining $1.

I have the Paypal IPN saving the $8 payment transaction to the database. Now I need to divy it up, but I am split on when the best time to do this would be and how. There is a possibility that the user could pay a different amount less than or more than the $8 and they also pay a setup fee which should not be divided. It should only divide the shares when the current account is paid in full.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the $8 subscription, 7 levels deep, and the setup fee are variable numbers. (The admin may change it at any time.)

I see multiple solutions, but not sure which would be best as all have possibility for errors in handling.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

This makes no sense.  It looks like you're tryin' to make a pyramid scheme, but backwards which means you would only profit if you didn't start in the beginning, which still is not legal because you will crumble under your own weight.

I'm building it for a customer. It is a pyramid scheme, but its for a service. Basically the customer wants to have special offers available for $x a month. Then if you refer someone, you make $1 off of them every time they pay. It would still make money because the payout stops before it goes to far. I can program stops for it as well. But I'm trying to figure out how and when to handle the redistribution of wealth. It's not as much a pyramid scheme as it is a referral system with multiple levels.

However, if this is illegal for some reason, please let me know why, as this project has been getting on my nerves lately anyways.

Tom

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/MLMscams.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

I think in order for it to be legal, you can only pay a referral fee to the person referring. If the person is receiving a legit 'subscription', to a real product, you could go back several layers deep. In other words, paying $8 a month for a subscription to news.google.com is NOT going to make it legal.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.