Fast retrieving data from text file

etrader

I have a very simple system (few files) having simple articles (only title and a paragraph description) stored in single text files. I catch the data by

$data=file('article1.txt');
$title=$data[0];
$description=$data[1];

This simple system works perfectly, but the problem appears when increasing the number of files (e.g. more than 10,000 articles). This is a problem connected with the OS behavior for handling huge number of files. My first question: Is there theoretically a faster system (e.g. database-based) for retrieving data, comparing with retrieving from plain text file?

Second question: what can be an alternative for this very simple system (no search query or additional field)?

1. XML: It has the same problem if storing in different files.

2. Mysql: It is very advanced for this system.

3. SQLite:I am thinking of this, but it still have advanced structure of SQL.

4. DB Berkeley: I am not familiar with Oracle at all, and I need to install something new on my server. Is it really worth of trying?

5. Anything else?

In general, I just need fast reading the data. I have no idea how much the speed of these systems are different to determine which is worth of consideration. Thanks for sharing your idea.

MySQL can suit basics as well as complex.  I would suggest using it as it makes life so much easier.

You shouldn't really use a flatfile system unless it's not going to be used by too many people at all.  The RAM usage when it is shoots up big time.

That's why I suggested using SQLite.

I figured I'd provide an alternate filesystem solution as well. I don't quite understand why you're worried about an inode limit, unless you're on a shared server. With modern disks sizes, inode numbers are usually quite huge. I suppose if you're worried about having millions of articles at some point, that makes sense

No, I'm not on a shared server; but since this system uses very low amount of resources, I host many domains on the same server. I am thinking of shifting from ex3 to ex4; but I prefer to do so on a fresh server (maybe later).

SQLite seems to be an excellent choice, but I was unable to find some statistics comparing its speed with other systems. I just worry about RAM usage for concurrent visitors as SQLite does not have server (of course, my knowledge is very little about this).

Complex queries will get cached in more advanced database systems. If you can easily use a flat file to retrieve your data, I doubt you'll be running very complex queries.

I've never seen, but I've heard of 25+ GB single SQLite DB files working well on mid-range dedicated systems.

This may help

http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.