Looking to develop an open source indexing application, does any exist?

HGeneAnthony

I was interested in working on an open source indexing application.  I was wondering, has anyone created one yet because I haven't seen one? I picture the project being useful for potential tube sites, file sharing sites, or people who just want to share their content.  I haven't seen one yet, the closest of seen is bbcode forums, but these really aren't designed for this purpose. 

What I'm working on (or more appropriately thinking of working on) is an indexer.  An indexer is really just another name for a search engine.  youtube is an indexer, so is google, etc.  An indexer also provides methods to find items in a system easily in case you don't know what you're looking for.  For example, tags can be used to find items as well as categories or other filtering options.  What I'm interested in working on is a program designed to make it easy to find items in a system. 

One of the reasons I'm thinking of working on this is a lot of file sharing sites use bbcode for file sharing, however I don't find this a very good option.  It wasn't designed for this and these systems don't offer many features. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.