[Solved] Update Multiple Rows At Once

yarub

Can someone tell me the process in updating multiple rows at once? I've been updating one row at a time with:
[code]$result = mysql_query("UPDATE tablename SET field='$field'")
or die(mysql_error());[/code]
I'm curious as to how I could have multiple rows at once, and then edit them all all at one time. Let's use a user database as an example. Right now, I just print out every single user with a link as their name which takes me to their own page. I'd like to be able to edit the page in which they all print out.

Username: [ yarub ] Password: [ **** ] Email: [ yarub@yarub.com ]
Username: [ fred ] Password: [ **** ] Email: [ fred@yarub.com ]
Username: [ john ] Password: [ **** ] Email: [ john@yarub.com ]
[ update ]

The brackets represent input fields obviously. Can someone run me through the process of making this work? I have absolutely no idea and can't find any tutorials on it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Solved! Got some help from someone. Thanks to those who attempted to help me.

Well, I have absolutely no idea where to start. For the database, I'll just say I have four fields: id, user, password, and email. The id is set to primary and auto inc. I'm looking for a way to update every single row by clicking the update button at the bottom.

I know that it's possible to do that because I've seen it on other scripts. I'm just looking for something simple and something I can understand. My friend said it might involve a "loop" or a "foreach" function... but I don't know anything about either. =\

I'm not sure what you mean. Right now, just to get it working, I have the following fields: id, name, lastname, & email. The field "id" is primary and atuo inc. I'm not sure what you mean by prefix.

I literally have no idea where to even start with this. I don't know what I need for the field name. I don't know what I need for the actual function to make it update. I'm working with scratch here because I've never done it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.