php/mysql projects for a newbie, intermediate, and advanced

silverglade

Hi , I am having trouble learning php and mysql. The books only teach me the letters, not the sentences. Please if anyone knows of mysql projects I can do in order of difficulty from newbie to advanced I would GREATLY appreciate it because I have no roadmap for learning.  I don't know what I can do with database php applications, and I need them to be incrementally harder so  I can learn faster.

Please if anyone has an archive of projects that they did, you can pm me here with what they are or you can post them here please. This is the most important thing I need to learn right now, as I literally am lost in the vast sea of websites on this or that tutorial, with no clear logical forward direction in a hierarchy. Please any help greatly appreciated. Thank you! The apps should be database driven as I love database driven apps they are awesome and fun.

Thanks. I saw some tutorials there. I am more interested in what projects you did in the order that you did them if you remember, or can pm me or post them. Depending on how long the list is. If you can that would be great. thanks. Then I can just google the tutorials of the projects you did. the important thing is the names of the projects you did in order. please. thanks.

I did a great deal of my initial development with PHP privately, just on a local FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP server I was using as a fileserver.  Most things never made it to the web.  Anyway, you seemed to be focused on projects and from my point of view projects are very focused applications and might not cover all the things you should cover to educate yourself as a junior developer.  There are a great many things a project may use from a developers toolbox, but not everything he should know.  I don't want you to feel overwhelmed, as with all things, take it steps, one thing at a time, learn a thing and learn it well and so on.  A developer is a profession like many where one is always learning.

A quick attempt to create a PHP dev curriculum, in no particular order...

Coding Standards (PEAR/Zend, MySource/Squiz)

OOP and Design Patterns in PHP

Coding Practices (Agile, Unit Testing, Test-Driven Design, version control, code coverage)

Filtering & Validation (RegEx, Sanitizing Inputs)

Databases (Prepared Statements, Abstraction, Pooling, Caching, Data Integrity, Indexes, ERD Modelling, Normalization)

Presentation (Templates, Forms & PDFs Generation/Manipulation)

Internationalization & Localization

Authentication & Authorization (Role/Group Based Permissions, ACLs, Cryptography)

Mailing (SMTP, Domain Keys, PKI Signed Mail)

Security (Types of Attacks to counter)

Sessions (Security Issues)

Searching (Cached Searches, search engine, spider/crawler)

Web Services & AJAX controls (REST, JSON, SOAP, Web APIs)

Caching, Performance and Scaling Issues

Debugging and Profiling

PEAR, PECL & Common PHP extensions

HTTP, DNS, SMTP, TLS/SSL Protcols

HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, DOM and related Specifications

Instead of a step by step approach that you've been seeking, perhaps an iterative approach from simple to complex, adding more and refactoring it would be more beneficial.

thank you for list. It is more of a theoretical guide to php programming. I was hoping to get specific projects like "chat box", then "forum", etc. But I cannot find such a list on google. I do have the choice of going back to my really thick php mysql book and reading the whole thing, THEN trying to make my own projects based on my knowledge of the language from the book. Usually I bring some knowledge to the table, create a script, get stuck, come here for answers, and repeat.

DO you suggest any steps that I go through to get proficient at php and mysql? I was thinking this order

1- Go back to the book and read the whole thing

2-come up with projects out of my head instead of googling for projects which isn't working anyway

3-come to phpfreaks or google the mistakes when problems.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Along with your book be sure to read the PHP and MySQL Manuals

PHP Manual: Language Reference, Security and Features Sections are worth the read

MySQL Manual: Tutorial, Backup and Recovery, Optimization, Language Structure, Internalization and Localization, Data Types, Functions and Operators, SQL Statement Syntax, Storage Engines, Replication and FAQ Sections are good sources of info.

The online PHP Manual is especially good if you're having problems with something, the comments there are invaluable help.

After your reading I'd do one complex website, start simple and grow it up to include or make use of everything I mentioned in my previous post where is makes sense.  A content management system or an auctioning site would work with that idea I think.

Proficiency shouldn't be your goal, doing things well should be and the fundamental requirement for doing that is knowledge, the second being practice.

phpfreaks, google and IRC are great places but relying on them as you learn is akin to giving you a fish when it would be better to teach you how to fish.  Learn to troubleshoot for yourself it'll greatly increase your growth.

thank you. I just made this funny little banning script for people that leave mean messages on my website poll. The poll takes their ip, emails me their message, if it's mean, I log in to my admin part on the site, go to the ban/unban page, and ban the sob. LOL. lots of fun this banning stuff. ooh the power! php is power. LOL

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.