shared hosting Vs cloud...

freelance84

What is the difference between 'shared hosting' and 'cloud'?

Would i be correct in assuming the following are true for running a website. You can either:

1) Buy your own server in your own office (lots of work)

2) Hire the use of server of someone else (dedicated server)

3) Share a dedicated server (shared hosting / cloud / VPS)

Sorted. I think.

Cloud hosting is a web hosting service that is delivered from a network of connected servers. In other words you can say that cloud hosting, also known as clustered hosting,  is a group of servers that are all connected together to increase features. These connected servers are regarded as a ‘cloud’ or ‘cluster’ and those servers enable any users to utilize all the resources from all the servers on the cloud. On the whole, it is a group of instantly existing computing/hosting resources such as RAM memory, CPU and bandwidth pieced together, serving as a whole.

We would make comparison between cloud hosting and shared hosting. These terms have many things in common you should be able to judge how they are similar and what is the point of difference.

1. Cloud hosting and shared hosting plans are economic in nature. The biggest difference between two is that cloud hosting uses a cluster of servers called “clouds.” On the other hand, in shared hosting one server is used. In both cases, consumer pays according their usage. Shared hosting is generally cheaper than cloud hosting. But in cloud hosting you can get more options.

2. Cloud hosting permits you to use a wide range of technologies, file formats and web tools as clouds are formed from multiple servers. But on the other hand, you will not get this much of variety in shared hosting.

3. Cloud hosting and shared hosting handle traffic differently. With cloud hosting, traffic is easy to handle because network of servers are working for the consistency of your site. And in case of shared hosting, it might happen that you would not be able to control the traffic and web activities. The brighter side of this is that you can keep your cost control but drawback is that your site temporarily loses its functionality.

Pretty much. A shared server is typically a single server that is shared with others. A cloud server has multiple physical servers that share resources.. which is better because typically if one physical server (a node) goes down for any reason, the others typically (and should) have backups and support the load while the node that went down is being brought back online.

Yup. After several calls it would appear with cloud hosting you have a lot more freedom too. E.g: fsockopen is banned on std shared hosting (i am told this is because if the host says ok to one client they are forced to say yes to all the other clients of theirs on that same server) but not on any of the cloud hosts i have contacted.

I have been juggling around with the decision for a while and i think i will be going for a shared host for a while with a new site im gonna launch, see how it goes. Another bonus with the some of the cloud hosting is that it is essentially 'pay as you go' hosting. Cloud Vs Dedicated server... i'll answer that one in half a year to a years time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.