popup blocker detection

alpine

Since one is required to begin testing with IE7 i've came across only one "problem" so far - IE7 seems to have a slightly stricter popup blocker as default compared to the default setting in IE6.
One one of my sites i have a drop down menu that sets off a new window via javascript onchange. In FF,Opera and IE6 this was no problem but IE7 now stops this new window from launching.

Any good solutions on a blocker alert (preferrably cross browser) so i can explain users what happened and how to allow pop ups on my site?

How about something like this.

[code]
function openWindow(url) {
    if (window.open(url,'name','height=200,width=150')) {
      doSomething();
  } else {
        alert('You will have to set your popup blocker to allow popups to see this..or whatever');
  }
}
[/code]

Is that what you were wanting?

Good Luck,
Tom

well, i've been testing something similar - the problem is that in the moment IE blocks content it seems to be stopping all scripts, so any custom message to the user never appears.... and thats where the challenge is.

In the end the best would be to remove the dropdown-launch and do another twist i guess, but still a block message could be handy in some cases.

Yeah, thats true - i do however hate having to do things more than one way on my sites ... and i really couldn't settle with the blocked solution anyhow, so i removed the dropdown and replaced it by a style-"hidden" html menu instead. Then the text-links triggers the popup and its not blocked by default settings.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.