Adding conditional group-access code around other code in Joomla

Trek15

Hello folks!

As per usual when i can't find any help elsewhere i come here. The Joomla forum's coding support is lacking to say the least, while this place always has experienced people interested in helping!

I use a flash menu software that isn't coded for Joomla but that has a fully functioning module available for it to make it simple to add it to your Joomla site. The problem is that everyone can see all items on this menu since the items are defined in an XML document and since they thereby don't take any access levels into consideration. This means that i have to create menu items in Joomla first and then add the links to those menus in the custom XML file for them to show up in the flash menu. And if i make any of those menu items inaccessible to guests they see a 404 error page instead of being told to log in when they click it, which i realize is due to the page of such menu items not actually existing since Joomla generates all pages to those with rights to acces them.

So, i wonder if anyone knows how you can make those menu items conditional to access levels or user groups in Joomla by placing code around them.

I'm not interested in customizing the 404 page. I don't want them to have to see that page at all. And for that i have to hide the menu items from them somehow.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.