DiT: Discuss It

doddsey_65

Heres a new concept project i thought of last night while trying to sleep.

http://asimpleforum.co.uk/dit

basically its a discussion forum stripped of all the unneeded parts. No need to register or login, simply click new discussion at the bottom and start a discussion. or you can take part in a discussion already posted. Simply double click on it to view the content and reply.

All discussions are scattered about randomly on the page. The newest ones are more forward than the older ones, and ones posted today will appear orange(y).

Clicking on one will bring it to the front so you can see more of it. Clicking shuffle at the bottom will shuffle all discussions randomly.

There is no way of stopping spam, nor is there a way to track discussions, these will be added later.

So what do you think?

It looks/functions great, but thinking practically I'm not sure when it would come in useful? Forums are categorised and ordered for a reason. What happens when there's a lot more posts, are older ones hidden? You'd loose out on sites with large user bases if there's only a small window of visibility.

I would build on the idea, you have a great little prototype to work with. Perhaps go more in the direction of instant chat, as opposed to message boards though?

ive thought about the viability of this. At the minute it shows the first 100 discussions ordered by the time they were posted. I will be changing this to the first 100 updated discussions. Also old discussions will be added to an archive list so they can still be replied to. Also if the display gets too cluttered and confusing you can click sort to organize the results in a tabular way.

ive now added the option to bookmark topics. The layout of the list needs some graphical work but the actual function works. When saving a discussion the page is reloaded because a cookie is added. I will be adding the option to delete these bookmarks soon.

I taught myself php a few years ago by reading through code and experimenting, from there javascript isn't that hard. And jQuery is a lot easier. I just read through other peoples code and experiment with different ideas. I'm not the type of person that can read tutorials or books, nor do I do any sort of planning on paper. I jump on the computer and try something. ASF was never planned, I just wrote the code and tried different things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.