Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Okay, let me post here to.

I'm Michel, male.

My first computer was a 80186 which ran at 8 or 16 Mhz
Now I'm using my laptop which runs at 1.8 Ghz x64
A thousand times faster :S

I'm doing HTML since 2000 or so and PHP since 2003

What is everyone's hobby?
Mine is ballroomdancing. Just got asked to give a demo in august.
I also do competitions.

#42 coldkill

coldkill
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 159 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:22 AM

I'm Mike and i'm 15 (only just) started programming when i was around 8 in VB. Been making websites since i was 10 programming PHP, HTML, CSS and C++ since i was 11 and well here i am. Oh and i'm male.

You can learn alot from reading the manual

#43 Guest_edwinsweep_*

Guest_edwinsweep_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

better late then never!
My name is Edwin, im 20 year's old.
I started making website's (HTML) when i was about 14
then from 15 up to 19 playing games all day(so no time for programming), and last year i picked up a PHP book and started making PHP based website's.
currently working on a website with a large forum for a big health and care company here in holland.
after understanding the power of php it just made me more curious, so im planning to do ASP C++ and VB aswell
oh yeah after checking. guess im male:)

#44 Gaia

Gaia
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

[!--quoteo(post=327916:date=Dec 16 2005, 12:03 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Dec 16 2005, 12:03 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
And I must say that I'm impressed with your work for only being 18. I've always said there are some truly talented female programmers out there (I went to college with a few), and you've just proven my point again.
[/quote]

Thanks Ober, now only if my instructers thought the same thing lol :P

#45 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

Mark Grainger, male, 26....

I remember this exact question being asked when doing Computer Studies in college. One response to 'why arent many women into computer programming?' was 'Have you ever tried to use a computer, hair straigteners and put your makeup on at the same time?'
A little unfair, mind, as I know for a fact that at least two of the 4 girls on my course have gone on to programming companies for a living, whereas only one male as far as I know has gone on to do programming/web design full time.

I started on a Spectrum typing in BASIC code from books and magazines, prob back in 86/87. Gave up totally in 98 after college as I was bored. Got Into web design only about a year and a half ago, picking up HTML and PHP at the same time, as I needed to make a company website instead of shelling out nearly £5000...
Happily unmarried, and the girlfriend only shares my enthusiasm for Web stuff when taking the p!ss out of my PHP/CSS/XHTML books.
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#46 titangf

titangf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

Robert Wygle, 24, male...
Colorado, USA
I'm incharge of my companies art department/web materials. I'm loving doing it, but it can be a challenge to switch from right brain to left brain functions then doing it all over again.

Been working with HTML, CSS, Flash, and PHP (some I know better than others). Been programming with combinations of those three for about 3-4 years now. And yes... before you all accuse me of being a Newbie... I'll admit that I am. But I'm a newbie that is self taught. (with this site being the exception of being a teacher, lol)
[!--coloro:#3366FF--][span style="color:#3366FF"][!--/coloro--][a href="http://www.csszengarden.com/" target="_blank"]css zen garden - beautiful design with the programmer in mind[/a][!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

[!--coloro:#3366FF--][span style="color:#3366FF"][!--/coloro--]Time is the invention of man to gauge what his achievements have been before he fades to dust.[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

#47 Barand

Barand
  • Moderators
  • Sen . ( ile || sei )
  • 18,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

I am a bit late dicovering this topic; In fact I only just came across this forum!

I have to admit, I have always been curious about the demographics of this site. One builds mental pictures of the other members and it's amazing how wrong one can be!

I used to have Toplay down as female (I think it was due the verbosity of his posts - no doubt I'll get into trouble for that ;-) on many levels)

Re Me - Barry Andrew, Male, 57, Northern Brit.

Wrote my first program using ALGOL at uni in 1968, paper tape input. Since then is was all punched cards (still have a stack in my desk draw - how sad is that?) until mid 70's. Worked as a Systems Analyst and Project Leader then in 1982 discovered home computers (BBC B) and then a 128K Mac when they first appeared in the UK in 1984. The only compiler I could get hold of then was BCPL but later moved on to C and C++. About the same time started using databases (dBase, FoxPro originally, but gave me a start with SQL). I took charge of PC development at my company in 1986 (VB, Delphi, Postscript - to drive printers).

About 6 years ago ago I had to teach myself HTML, Javascript, ASP then the company bought a "Cobalt Cube" loaded with PHP, Apache and MySQL and I was given the brief "See what you can do with that". So, taught myself PHP and started building the company's intranet and that's how I'm here.

If you are still using mysql_ functions, STOP! Use mysqli_ or PDO. The longer you leave it the more you will have to rewrite.

Donations gratefully received

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts

#48 dark dude

dark dude
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

I'm dark dude, started HTML and CGI when I was 10, learned C when I was 12, now know PHP and learning C++. I am just 14. :)

#49 Kurt

Kurt
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Im Kurt, and im 12, but turning 13 very soon. I know most common web languages such as x/html, css, javascript, php, and a bit of asp. I learned actionscript when I was 11 (it was my first language). I learned everything else though this year and Im quite good at it because Im already making money :)

#50 Rosst

Rosst
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

Nor adult or teen, I am 12, preteen, male, name is Ross, started PHP/MySQL when 7, same with C, C++, delphi, HTML(not that good anymore), PERL/CGI, ASP, JSP, ColdFusion, flash, XML, and Java, I'm a whiz at everthing.

#51 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

Hi, my name is SA, I am 6 and a half years old and I am fluent in both binary and assembly. I'd also say I was somewhat proficient in Fortran, Lisp, COBOL and Pascal (inc. Turbo). So far this year, having already learnt the garden variety web languages such as XHTML, CSS and JavaScript, I have picked up PHP at an intermediate level and am progressing well. In my spare time, while not watching the Teletubbies on TV, I work at the R&D lab at Nvidia designing ICs for the next generation graphics solutions.

#52 Rosst

Rosst
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hi, my name is SA, I am 6 and a half years old and I am fluent in both binary and assembly. I'd also say I was somewhat proficient in Fortran, Lisp, COBOL and Pascal (inc. Turbo). So far this year, having already learnt the garden variety web languages such as XHTML, CSS and JavaScript, I have picked up PHP at an intermediate level and am progressing well. In my spare time, while not watching the Teletubbies on TV, I work at the R&D lab at Nvidia designing ICs for the next generation graphics solutions.

How is it even possible that you are 6.5 years old?

#53 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

lmao
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#54 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

HAHAHA!

What happened to kids playing cops and robbers???  STOP GROWING UP SO FAST, NERDS!

Info: PHP Manual

#55 extrovertive

extrovertive
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

I'm 7 years old and have been doing Artificial Intelligence programming in C, C++, and LISP for nearly 8 years. My work consists of developing a neuro-networking simulator for a robot that can process natural language understanding in the English language. My work consists of using a huge open-database containing all the words, idoms, phrases, in real-time and utilizing data-mining and semantics search processing algorithm for a machine to interpret human languge phrases.

In my free-time I enjoy spending some time creating the new cutting-edge CPU architecture, based on massive parallel computing, neuro-network simulation, and hopefully Quantum Computing soon that will allow humans to stored their consciousness in a machine to live forever.

#56 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

Yeah... it was funny the first time someone did it.  ::)

#57 Koobi

Koobi
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationColombo, Sri Lanka | South Asia

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

i want to be a hobo. they seem to lead much simpler lives :D

#58 aladiyat23

aladiyat23
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 39 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Heyyyyyy where my girls at???

I'm FEMALE, just turned 26, name is Carrie.
I started messing with print design about 10 years ago and I've been a flash developer for the last 4 years. JUST now getting into php/sql in the last month and I love it!

Not many girls in this field... and that doesnt suck at all bc I'll probably get your job!! ohhhhhhhhhhh jk ;)

Hi everybody.

#59 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

Not many girls in this field... and that doesnt suck at all bc I'll probably get your job!! ohhhhhhhhhhh jk ;)

that might not be too far from the truth! lol :P
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#60 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hey Carrie, good to see another girl around here.  And I know some talented female programmers... so I am one of those guys that are intimidated by you gals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users